Thread: Micro Chip

Default Micro Chip

Does anybody have their dog chipped? What brand or company of micro chip would you recommend?

Hiya,

We have avid and home again. Both are wonderful to have. I haven't had any use for them yet, but it sure is nice to know that its there.

I got mine done at the shelter, it was only $20.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

We have Avid. It's what our vet was using at the time.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default If you value your dog

One of the best things that you can do to prove ownership and if your pet is ever lost you stand a much better chance of getting them back. Spend the money and get it done

I just had one of my dogs done and now it shows that you must have a yearly subscription to the program??? Last time I microchipped a dog, I just completed the paperwork and sent it in, there wasn't such a thing as a yearly subscription! Dog owners with a large number of dogs would find this cost a little unfeasible I would think!

Our breeder puts an Avid chip in every dog she sells (not optional), so we have one in our Golden. The initial charge was including in the cost of the dog and there is no "subscription" fees at all. They send a notice annually for you to verify the information and there is a small fee to make changes. For basic ID services, there is no annual costs.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

TMS,

I know one of the programs does charge a fee each year, I cant remember which. Which one did you go with? I havent seen it from Avid....I think they were the ones I just paid outright for.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Mat-Su shelter Micro chips and tags

If you live in the valley, (outside of Wasilla and Houston) the MatSu Shelter provides microchipping at $20. There is no subscription fee. The officers carry chip readers so if your dog is found at large they can read the chip on site. The number refers back to the shelter where they look up the number so its important to update the dog's record when you license the dog and include all of your contact numbers.

As I found in an article I researched for Alaska Dog News, a chip and a tag are your best bet. People are more likely to help a dog with a tag than one that does not have a tag. After that I got ID tags for all of the dogs with the dogs name, our home and cell number on it. I'm finally getting used to the jingle. Its not that bad.

The great thing about the chip is that we could trace the history of one of our rescues which gave us a little understanding of her history - returned 3 times to the Anchorage shelter. I knew I might have some trianing issues and so far have been able to correct some of her problems that may have sent her back to the shelter.

One problem the officers have an anyone else that may want to help your dog if they get lost is fear of other people. While we are trianing to stay with us, not jump on other people I think we need to train the dogs to trust strangers. Usually this is not a problem with retrievers but I followed one of our shelter trucks for miles as they tried to catch a big yellow lab. I was blocking traffic so the officer could stop and coax the dog to him. The dog would bolt each time the truck stopped to pick him up. Eventually the exausted dog was captured and returned home.

www.alaskadognews.com

I have two with AVID and one with Home again. Our vet switched to Home Again recently...they are the ones that charge the annual fee. I don't pay the fee because they (dogs) don't leave the island, however if you travel with the dogs, it may not be a bad idea to pay for national coverage.

Mine have Avid microchips & they charge a one time $18.50 registration fee. The vet charged about $40 (includes the registration fee). Some folks seem to think if their dog's chipped they don't have to abide by animal control ordinances -- not so. Sometimes the microchip will move, but know of one dog that was identified 10 years after being chipped.

Karen

I really like the way AVID does business, I wish we could still get them here...not to impressed with the Home Again annual fee. Karen, that's a good point you mention regarding moving chips, whenever my dogs are at the vet, I have them swiped just to make sure they still work (I guess I don't trust the longevity of electronics)...and low and behold one of my Chessies wasn't registering. We swiped the dog everywhere and still nothing. I had one of the newer chips put in after that episode. Well, long story short, the old chip spoke up about a year and a half later, as did the new chip...UGH. I'm not sure if it moved and came back or took a vacation; I do recommend having any chipped animal swiped at least every year just to make sure it didn't migrate, especially if they are working dogs.