Thread: heavy steel

Default heavy steel

Just picked up a couple boxes of the heavy steel. It claims to be 20 percent more dense than normal steel loads. It also travels at 1550 as advertised on the box. I took some out today and shot at clays. I had to lead a little less up close but out past 30 I aimed normal. I also patterned the stuff in my .870 Express and it patterned great!! I shoot a modified choke, at 20, I'll be destroying them, at 30 the pattern is great. Compared to the "out of this world over priced" other non toxic stuff I think this is a good compromise on ammo for ducks. At 30 bucks for a box of 25 I'll be shooting it this year. Has anyone else used the stuff in the past?? Likes or dislikes??

30 bucks a box OUCH thats to heavy for me

used it once...black cloud is way better.

# 3 or #4 and dont skyblast. Ive never had a problem with steel at 20 yards. I seem to be the only guy anymore to decoy and call though. Maybee thats why I take home limits more than most.

To rich for my pocket book. At $30.00 a box the birds should just see you and drop dead.

i have used it all and the only round with noticable difference is heavy shot.

Heavy shot is like about $3/round now isn't it? Sorry - NO WAY NO HOW

Kent's work fine for me - or anything else thats under $13/box

all that "new" heavy whatever is just some overpriced gimmicks if you as me

Quote Originally Posted by BowHunter89 View Post
    I seem to be the only guy anymore to decoy and call though. Maybee thats why I take home limits more than most.
    No your not

Oh I know I am not it just seems like it is so hehe. I do not use anything but winchester xpert in the 1550 FPS stuff in #3. Or I use my bow either or is good

Never liked the xperts. I do shoot other 1550 fps. Kents fast steel and Remington sportsmens. I started shooting 3s last year and liked the results. But picked up some 2s for good measure.

What isnt there to like about the experts? Sounds like you had a bad day of shooting and quickly blamed it on the shell :P

Let the war begin

Oh i was just teasin anyways haha. Look at this years waterfowl regs. It states BBB and #2 hevishot are the best for geese and #3 steel is the best steel shot for ducks. At least they did their homework :P

Default No war

When you change ammo and state killing birds. then change back and start missing again I'm guessing it's the ammo. I didn't get a chance to pattern the xperts before the season. My fault.

If you need the newest, biggest, most expensive,you must not have done well in the first place. sometimes I wonder why we ever needed 3" shells. Personally I take my ducks with 3" #2s or #3s if I can find them. Xperts did well for me last season. I had one bad season with the sportsmen but might give them a try if the price is right. Happy hunting all.