Thread: How late is too late for Haul Rd Caribou???

Default How late is too late for Haul Rd Caribou???

I have an opportunity to travel to Fairbanks for business at the end of Sep/first week of October. Is this too late to go up the Haul Road for caribou?
    Is the hunting far better in August or early September?

Thanks in advance!

Default Yes and no...

First off, by late September, the bulls are inedible. The rut is in full-swing, and the meat will taste like pi$$. If you wait until after October 1 (or there-abouts), the season opens to caribou of either sex. You should avoid taking a bull; it's a waste of meat. I hear you can't even sausage it.

Even with that, the caribou may not be there at all. That's a risk for any time you go, but I think it is less likely that there will be any animals up there by October. Not sure; have to ask someone that's been there that late. Good news is, as you get closer to your dates, you can post some threads asking the folks that work or hunt up thataways if they have seen any 'bou. The word this year, though, is that the caribou are on the move early - not such a good sign for you. Last year, I was up there for a hunt around the first of September. I was told that it had not snowed yet (that year) except in the mountains. I hear this year that it has snowed a few times already.

Stay tuned. Good luck!!!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

October is a fairly popular time for folks to go up and hunt the Haul, especially if you don't mind the cold/snow. There *should* be animals around.

As was mentioned above, the likelihood of finding a good-tasting bull is much lower in Sep/Oct.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

That's not completley true. A young bull won't be too bad. A big guy, well. We all know they're not any good. Late year, go for meat, not horns.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I was up there in late Oct last year. We saw probably 300 caribou in one day, so if you go to the right spot, you should do fine. That said, we did the 5 mile hike in. We didn't see many near the road--only a handful. Also, we got really lucky with the weather. It had been -30 a few days before we left, and when we got up there it was 20 above.

As far as meat quality goes, we took two bulls. My buddy really likes his meat. I haven't tasted his to compare, but the meat from my bull is not great but edible for the most part. For some reason, there have been a few individual freezer bags of burger that were terrible, but most of it has been decent. I think it must have something to do with what part of the body it came from.

So my advice is, if late Sept is the only time you have a chance to go, then go. If you are worried about the meat, shoot a cow...

Default Thanks!

Guess that I'll continue with the plans to go in October...Will three spares be enough at that time of the year?

Default bou hunt

I've hunted the haul for the last 5 years-1st year went in july-will never do that again, talk about the mosquitoes-will drive you crazy-did get a young bull, then when was gutting, it snowed. Also went in early Oct-thinking could get 2 cows, but pretty chilly-I try to avoid Aug cuz thats when it seems everyone else goes-i go in sept-last year got another young bull-great meat-i bring 2 spares as well as a electric air pump and plugs. bring plenty of gas as my tank only holds 15 gal.

Default I got the spares, the tire repair kit and inflator...

And I'd assume that carrying 67gallons of diesel will give me ample range with worst-case scenario of 12mpg (normally get 15-16mpg).

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

so how much is gas in cold foot this year?????? i used to carry a 55 gal drum int the back to get me up and down the road. gas was spendy in 02 when i was last there ....

According to some the price of fuel in Coldfoot is nearly $9 per gallon. You will be money ahead to make sure you fill up all your cans before you travel.