Thread: Montague Island Brown Bear

Default Montague Island Brown Bear

Will be hunting the area for PWS Deer in late Oct early Nov. and will have a tag on me. Anyone have any experience hunting brownies on Montaguee before? Its a huge island and am looking for tips on best way to hunt them there. Have the cabin reserved over Veterans Day weekend. Anyone else planning a hunt during that time? AH
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I have had friends who have hunted Montague for deer and report having actually been stalked by some of the resident BB. The BB there have a reputation for suffering from sig bad attitudes sometimes attributed to festering gun shot wounds from small arms fire from the fisherman in the area - apparently the bears can be problematic re nets on the beach. Also at one time problem bears used to be relocated onto Montague.

Unhappy Really

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    I have had friends who have hunted Montague for deer and report having actually been stalked by some of the resident BB.
    Since Id be the one hunted it should be an easy hunt. . I plan on paying close attention to my surroundings, for sure. Does anyone know what kind of brown bear populations Montague holds? What avg. size should I expect to encounter. Will they be down in the streams still? Any other insight? Thanks, Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I've hunted Montague since the mid 80's and have only physically seen 1 brown bear. The vast majority of my trips have been day trips in a super cub so I don't actually have a ton of time on the island but have flown around it numerous times. The only bear we saw was in August at the top of a mountain- we had hiked up to get a few bucks and only had a .243 between the two of us. Anyway, he was 10' if he was an inch...but didn't bother us at all. I've seen tracks on the beach numerous times.

Don't know which cabin you're in...there are 3 forest service cabins that I know of so it is tough to give any advice as to where to focus your efforts...

Default Port Chalmers Cabin

Googled Montague Brown Bear and came up with some info. Everything tells me theres bears there and they tend to be pretty aggressive. One story dated back to the early 1900's. Anyways, our goal is to get Deer & I hope theres snow up high and the deer are down low and on the beaches. Slight chance I see a bear or the bear sees me first, I'll be registered and will have a tag on me.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Montague

I spent 2 1/2 years logging out there & have seen bears so if you send me a PM I'll email you back with what I know.
    Will say back when we logged the AK F&G would come out & told us that any bears there we're bad bears & transplanted there.
    Drop me a PM if interested I'll be gone for 10 days or so but will reply when I get back.
    Thanks

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Our bear encounter was on the south end of the island. Deer pop. is definitely better on the south end but there is deer all over the island. The north end typically has more snow so your chances of deer being pushed down because of the snow are definitely better in the port chalmers area where you will be. Are you bringing a raft?

Default Boat access

Will be traveling to Montague by boat. Staying in the cabin at night, cruising the beaches during the day. Will have a dinghy to go to shore. Of course, this is weather permitting. Tried last year, but the weather went to crap the week we were scheduled to go.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

I hunted the south side of the island in '06 and didn't see a bear in the week I was out there. There was a little snow and never even saw a track. We covered a lot of country.