Thread: Early season deer

Default Early season deer

Is there any effective way to hunt deer early in the season on an island that doesn't have alpine zones? We have some friends coming in September and he's older and had some health problems so trudging up into the alpine peeks isn't really an option.

Work the edges of the shoreline with early morning low tides. You should even find regular paths used to and from the tide shore. Deer like the seaweed and salt, and are most prone to use them early to avoid hassles. Setting them up overlooking a trail and a rocky/gravelly stretch of shore with lots of seaweed should be productive. Been a winner for me for years.

Thanks,

I kicked up a buck this weekend hiking one of the islands, but I fumbled getting my scope covers off and just couldn't see taking a long range offhand shot at the hind end of a bounding buck.

The deer like openings in the woods. Look for meadows or marshes where the undergrowth is abundant. They will feed in these areas most of the year. They also hang out in areas that were recently logged or burned because of the undergrowth. I lived on an island in southeast alaska for 17 years we always had good luck around the openings even when there were alpine areas to hunt. The beaches are also a good place to find deer because like stated earlier, they like the salt and will eat the sea weed. You can also try some calling. We would blow across surveyor tape and call in bucks, does, fawns and occassionally bears. Good luck.

CubeCove