Thread: Salt Bath Nitriding for firearms

Default Salt Bath Nitriding for firearms

Has any one used this coating for their firearms yet? How is the durability compared to other coatings like cerakote, etc. How are firearms coated using the nitriding process? Would you recommend it to others? Thanks

Get ahold of Suntiet, he does this and also does parkerizing for his customers. I have been thinking about the salt bath nitride treatment for my 375 H&H.

We have been using salt bath nitride for a while on an OEM basis and it is superb. I think it is less durable than the plasma nitriding that companies such as Blaser use, but it beats any other finish out there. We have examples in stock

I read on another thread here on the Shooting forum a little about the salt bath nitriding process, just from the info nitriding seems to be more durable and more permanent than other types of coating like cerakote for example.
    I am finding out that cerakote is prone to scraping off, now I am wondering if there is a process that can remove cerakote completely off of a rifle. Any one know? Thanks

Just wondering if the Salt Bath Nitrating process is the same as the Tenifer/Melonite process used by some handgun manufacturers like Glock, Walther and Steyr?
    Here is another link to some information that I found on the internet on the Melonite Process.
    http://www.burlingtoneng.com/salt_bath_nitriding.html

Here are a few of the trades names that were listed on another website for this or a similar process, may be worth researching;

Sursulf
    Arcor
    Tufftride
    Kolene