Thread: Question on magnaporting

Default Question on magnaporting

I have a question that may sound stupid but I have always taped the muzzle to prevent water and debris from getting in while hunting. I have recently had my 300 WM magnaported and was wondering if its okay to tape over the magnaporting as well as the crown to keep the barrell clean.

Don't know if it's "okay" or not, but I've been doing it for the last 20+ years with no problems. Even tried those little black condoms they make and sell for the same job on muzzleloaders. No problem there either, but tape's easier to find and use.

I carried a mag-na-ported .375 H&H for years and always taped the muzzle and ports with black electrical tape...didn't always have time to peel it off so it just got blown off with the muzzle blast; never had any accuracy issues that I attributed to the tape. I also taped my 30-06 Steyr and left the tape on once for a long period of time and the tape left marks on the parkerizing that won't come off with cleaner. No big deal, it's a hunting rifle anyway. Bottom line - regular old electrical tape works fine.

Wink

Ever tried using small balloons?

AKBighorn is correct. Go to the store and buy a bag of mini-balloons. I use them all the time, and take a bag full when I hunt for several days. Mini-ballons work better than tape when your rifle has a muzzle brake or Magna-Port.

Here in the rain forests ( southeast) I prefer the electrical tape but have used the black condoms mentioned above for the same reasons ( magnaported) rifle and they seem to work just fine. 3 moose through a condom so far.
    goldbelt

Thanks for the replies guys.

Alaska Cub,
    I should have mentioned that I had a little trouble keeping the black rubber booties on in the brush they would on occasion slip off when snagged on a branch. I started wrapping a rubber band below the mag porting and this helped a lot .
    goldbelt

Default muzzle tape

ACub, Taping won't bother the brake. I've tried both ballons and tape. Baloons get ripped off when snagged on brush, etc. Electrical tape won't. I usually carry an extra few wraps of both duct tape and electrical tape around the barrel a few inches back of the muzzle for retaping the muzzle or fixing gear- it's always there.