Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "nothing wrong"

Default "nothing wrong"

http://www.adn.com/wildlife/story/485114.html

"We feel that there was nothing that was done wrong"!!!!!!!

I told ya, I told ya, I told ya.....yea ya did.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Gee- who am I more inclined to believe. The troopers that assessed the scene, or the villagers who clearly have a vested interest in the situation. The troopers are doing their job, and have no iron's in the fire over the outcome...
    The village is getting a lot of negative press and seems to be doing whatever it can to 'sweep the slaughter under the rug' and move on.

The last line in the article really hits home, to ALL Alaska's residents.

Every one who hunts should e-mail the gov's office and very politely demand the troopers be allowed to finish their investigation. And the trials to be held in Alaska's courts.

I can't believe the village elders waited a month to check out the mess to only find nine carcass's. Bet they have a couple of well feed wolf pack out that way.
    Chuck

"We don't feel there was any wrongdoing"

Ok let the rants begin. Lets state the obvious: RANT MODE

The people of point hope have now succesfully proven they never gave a rats ***** about those caribou. They waited a month to go check it out and say there were only 9 caribou wasted. And then the excuses began. So now they feel they are capable of dealing with it. The fact of the matter is they want to see it drift away, like nothing happened. So who do you believe? Do you believe the troopers, who said over 120 animals were killed with about 60 wasted, or do you believe the "officials" who go out a month after the slaughter find only 9 carcasses left, and begin mouthing off that the numbers were inflated and the troopers did a poor job. I'd say the troopers. What are they going to get out of the deal? The natives are looking bad right now. Hopefully Sara makes the right choice and tells them no, they will not be allowed to investigate themselves.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I amvery happy to hear that the early reports of over 100 caribou killed and wasted were hasty and ill advised. Hopefully now that we know that there are only 9 wasted due to unavoidable circumstances like injuries to the hunter we can let this whole mess rest.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I amvery happy to hear that the early reports of over 100 caribou killed and wasted were hasty and ill advised. Hopefully now that we know that there are only 9 wasted due to unavoidable circumstances like injuries to the hunter we can let this whole mess rest.
    Me too Lujon. I would hate to see people convicted of a crime that was so out of proportion
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default sigh...let troopers do their job

Here we go again.

We can speculate for another 200 posts, or we can let these things take their course.

I just received some info from AWT that I'll pass along. Gist of it is that often wildlife crime scenes are more difficult to process than homicide scenes, that stuff is going to the lab, that they are processing this case and still getting info. Look, this isn't going to all happen in the time frame many seem to want or demand. Alaska Wildlife Troopers on on it...with the Presidential visit they've had to realign some troopers to deal with that. Again, they are on it; let them do their job. I'm confident they are putting a case together and more speculation and hundreds of posts isn't going to improve things.
    Sincerely,

Default topics

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Here we go again.

We can speculate for another 200 posts, or we can let these things take their course.

Why does it bother you if people talk about what topics seem important to them? I dont have a dog in the fight but it is raising my level of awareness greatly. I am a little put off that you would ask others to comply with your point of view. There is a lot to be learned here collectively from the many posters that share with us.

I do however understand if you choose not to engage a topic but would ask you to not make that choice for others.

thanks to all for the knowledge that is being shared.

Default Let's Wait a Bit...

While I'm sad that the village wants to exclude themselves from answering to state/federal law, no need to get fired up just yet. The troopers are moving forward with their investigation, they won't stop just because the village wants them to. My bet is that they're going to continue with their investigation, and suspects or charges will be provided at a later date.

IF the gov decides to let the village handle things, direct your anger toward her for letting it slide. But, no need to get fired up over the village comments, at THIS point those comments aren't going to stop the investigation.

Jeff, it doesn't bother me at all when people discuss AK hunting issues on this forum. That's its purpose. But when we delve far away from that via numerous threads...it just seems counterproductive. What more can be said, really, that hasn't already been said? Maybe the threads that end up not having to really do with AK hunting can be shifted to General Discussion forum or something, I dunno.

Default Best Advice

[quote=hiline;316948]Every one who hunts should e-mail the gov's office and very politely demand the troopers be allowed to finish their investigation. And the trials to be held in Alaska's courts.

My email is already sent

We can rant all we want but that won't change one thing.....

Make your voices heard to those that can make a decision.

Here is the Gov's email page. I urge everyone to send her an e-mail to request the Alaska troopers be allowed to complete their investigation. And the Alaska courts to try the the cases not the people of point Hope.

http://gov.state.ak.us/govmail.php

PS: be nice
    Chuck

Angry

I cant figure out why the elders would want to cover up the incident which only makes them appear to approve of the situation and even reflects negatively on their values and lifestyle. I mean, leaving any meat and shooting females with calves does not reflect the values of any native hunters I have ever met or hunted with who all have had the highest respect and standard for hunting. There must be some elders or their children involved to motivate the coverup. Of course there were less caribou after the troopers removed the wasted carcasses for the investigation though..... everyone has seen the pictures and can count all the waste for themselves.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Hiline - thanx for the link - my (politically correct) email is on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    I cant figure out why the elders would want to cover up the incident which only makes them appear to approve of the situation and even reflects negatively on their values and lifestyle. I mean, leaving any meat and shooting females with calves does not reflect the values of any native hunters I have ever met or hunted with who all have had the highest respect and standard for hunting. There must be some elders or their children involved to motivate the coverup. Of course there were less caribou after the troopers removed the wasted carcasses for the investigation though..... everyone has seen the pictures and can count all the waste for themselves.
    Just because they are elders doesn't mean they want the white man tromping through their "way of life". Wouldn't be the first time they would lie to the feds or the state. I sent my opinon to Sara. She'll make the right move.

Bushrat

If people are allowed to express their opinion based on the information that is available, this keeps the pressure on all paties to do a fair and impartial investigation because they know it is important to us and we are interested and watching them.

If as you say, we just let it be and wait for the final results, without comments or indignation, I have found that people find it easier to sweep things under the carpet, because they think we are not intersested or do not care.

My two cents.

Hey! If the State lets the Point Hope Elders handle any game violations, do you think the State would let my parrish Priest handle it if I screw up while hunting or fishing? Just asking.

I think the very last statement best describes how I feel about the situation.

"Caribou are not the resource of the village, they are the resource of the state of Alaska."

Default Pt. Hope looks hopeless.

This is clearly a cover-up by the tribe. The lack of cooperation by the elders and the "community" point to a lack of respect for the liberal subsistence "harvest" they enjoy. 5 caribou a day for how long? This looks more like a cull hunt than an ethical, respectful use of wildlife resources.
    Maybe the day has come when this whole "tribal right" (double standard) has to be revisited? You have caribou up there and we have walleyes down here that get netted. We have had cases of walleyes found in the ditches, left to rot. Virtually no cooperation from the reservation. Its almost an "in your face" attitude. No one dares comment least be labelled a racist. Helluva price to pay for being politically correct!
    Its too bad its come to this.
    At some point the pot will boil over and there will be a price to pay. Its the way of mankind.

Really hope the Troopers are allowed to finish their investigation, that it goes to trial in state courts, and someone gets their butt fried!

Really makes me angry when people mistreat the resources, and this is WAY beyond mistreatment or abuse. This is laziness and cowardice.

Hopefully they'll go through it all the way and pin someone to the wall

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast