Thread: sheep hunting in snow

Default sheep hunting in snow

Are there any secrets to sheep hunting if there is snow on the ground? With the weather this year, I'm getting a little worried that I might not be able to see them. Do you just need to spend that much extra time behind the lens of the spotting scope? Or are there certain types of terrain you focus on? Does snow push sheep to lower elevation? Etc, Etc, Etc?

It's tough....but doable. Sheep, like goats, are not pure white like snow but more cream colored. Movement will be more important to clue you into their where abouts. They also sometimes seem to "bunch up" more, so that if you find one take a close look around for others. Also, like spring bear hunting you can sometimes follow tracks in the snow. When the sun is right one can see tracks in the snow for a long ways. Try to remember where you have seen tracks so as to ID new tracks since you last looked at the same area. I would also closely inspect at the bases of rim rock and cliffs since it seems sheep will often situate next to these type of structures so that an approach would only be from the front....which they will be watching. Also sheep will tend to congregate on the wind blown sides of the mountain side where possible food sources are often uncovered and snow free.

Use white coveralls when on "full" snow cover;
    Have crampons for travel across steep, slippery slopes;
    Watch for tracks in snow - from a distance tracks from up hill travel have far less debris on the down hill side than down hill travel;
    During the last half hour - forty five minutes of "glassing light" animals usually look pretty dark, almost black;
    Ram tracks about twice the size of ewe tracks and much squarer.
    Solid snow cover makes them easy to judge!
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Are there any secrets to sheep hunting if there is snow on the ground? With the weather this year, I'm getting a little worried that I might not be able to see them. Do you just need to spend that much extra time behind the lens of the spotting scope? Or are there certain types of terrain you focus on? Does snow push sheep to lower elevation? Etc, Etc, Etc?