Thread: Breaking in a handgun?

Default Breaking in a handgun?

I know guys have different techniques for breaking in a new rifle barrel, how about handguns? Going out tonight with a new XD40. Do they require a break in? Whats the process?

Default Break in

Go out and have fun. I took mine from the store to the range 3 yrs ago and have well over 3000 rds through it without any problems at all. Just keep it clean and it will never fail you.
    Great choice in pistols by the way. I have 3 Springfield Armory pistols and they are all awesome to shoot.

Greg

Not so much for accuracy concerns, but I hand cycle both revolvers and semis a whole bunch before going to the range. It just kinda smooths things out (in my own mind anyway), whether or not it helps.

I do use the wear patterns on revolver innards as guides for action jobs, and the sooner I can get the wear patterns established, the sooner I can sensibly go about tuning. I don't have enough experience with semis to speculate if there's similar value there.

Default Not me

I'm definately one of the more compulsive break-in guys for rifles. However, pistols are another story (at least for me)...I do an initial cleaning, take them to the range, shoot the heck out of them, and clean them when I get home.

I clean newly acquired handguns thoroughly before firing them, whether brand new or new-to-me.

I also put 200 or so jacketed bullets through a new barrel before trying lead. That seems to smooth things out a bit, and reduces future leading.

YMMV.

Sounds like I'll run the brush through it a few times when I get to the range and clean it good when I get home. Well, off to have some fun. Thanks for the help.

Shane

Keep it wet (oil). More is better than less on moving parts.