Thread: Any experiences w/ .44 mag Carbines?

Default Any experiences w/ .44 mag Carbines?

Any experiences w/ .44 mag carbines? good, bad, otherwise just looking for opinions and experiences, favorite model and ammunition accuracy dependability?
    apurciate it thanks, m

Default Puma

MWalker-

I dont have too much experience with carbines but can give you some insight. 3 years ago I ordered a Puma (legacy sports/puma) .44 mag SS lever action rifle. I wanted it to match my pistol ammo. It is a beautiful rifle and I really enjoy it being stainless. Growing up in SE Alaska where rain is measured in feet anually, let alone deer hunting around salt water. It is a 24 inch barrel. They do make a carbine model. However to be honest it took me forever to get that gun dialed. The sights were messed up. The tang screws were off center rendering a tang sight useless till I figured it out.

I dont have much info in semi's. But if you wanted a lever I would look at marlin. well built and if you wanted a scope later get the side eject. I have heard good things about Rugers Deerfield semi and thier lever but havent used one. Wish I was more help.

PM me if you want some good hunting or bear 44 loads.

Default 44 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Any experiences w/ .44 mag carbines? good, bad, otherwise just looking for opinions and experiences, favorite model and ammunition accuracy dependability?
    apurciate it thanks, m
    I've got a Winchester 44 Mag--Trail's End Model--20 inch barrel. Very reliable--not very accurate. Still fun to shoot though--and I wouldn't part with it,now that Winchester has stopped making them. An acquaintance of mine who's also a hard core hunter has the Marlin--and has the same comments about his gun. It's my understanding that Marlin stopped using the micro-groove rifling in their 44 Mag to please the cowboy action guys in case they want to use cast bullets--so maybe the older ones might prove more accurate. Anyway--both are good enough for close range deer guns in the thick brush--light and fast handling--but when hunting,I reach for something else.

Default good luck

yeah i heard that about the micro groove but I wasnt sure. I dunno about the ruger. Maybe take a look. Good luck with that and let me know if you find a good one.

I had an original Ruger semi for a lot of years. Dandy gun as long as you stuck to jacketed bullet loads at near factory ballistics.

More recently I've owned a couple of Marlins, but foolishly let both go. Lots more veratile than the Ruger simply because you can use reduced loads. I never had much trouble with cast bullets from the microgroove barrels, but then again I never pushed them hard. My biggest beef was that neither really liked heavy bullets. Dandy up till about 265 grains, but groups spread radically with heavier stuff. I'd probably pick up another one if it came along at the right price. Sure a fun gun to shoot with a receiver sight. You can whack beer cans way out there with the right load, plus it's quick and handy for deer in close cover. I never popped any beyond about 75 yards, but wouldn't hesitate out to 125 or so.

No first-hand experience with the Winchester or Puma, but friends have both and regard them highly.

Default microgroove

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1965 View Post
    I've got a Winchester 44 Mag--Trail's End Model--20 inch barrel. Very reliable--not very accurate. Still fun to shoot though--and I wouldn't part with it,now that Winchester has stopped making them. An acquaintance of mine who's also a hard core hunter has the Marlin--and has the same comments about his gun. It's my understanding that Marlin stopped using the micro-groove rifling in their 44 Mag to please the cowboy action guys in case they want to use cast bullets--so maybe the older ones might prove more accurate. Anyway--both are good enough for close range deer guns in the thick brush--light and fast handling--but when hunting,I reach for something else.

thanks for the replies how does the micro groove affect cast bullets?
    I am wanting a little carbine with lots of punch at close quarters for the wife 45/70 is too much for her. I guess they are making lever carbines in some of the other big revolver calibers as well, but I was hoping to match w/ revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I had an original Ruger semi for a lot of years. Dandy gun as long as you stuck to jacketed bullet loads at near factory ballistics.

More recently I've owned a couple of Marlins, but foolishly let both go. Lots more veratile than the Ruger simply because you can use reduced loads. I never had much trouble with cast bullets from the microgroove barrels, but then again I never pushed them hard. My biggest beef was that neither really liked heavy bullets. Dandy up till about 265 grains, but groups spread radically with heavier stuff. I'd probably pick up another one if it came along at the right price. Sure a fun gun to shoot with a receiver sight. You can whack beer cans way out there with the right load, plus it's quick and handy for deer in close cover. I never popped any beyond about 75 yards, but wouldn't hesitate out to 125 or so.

No first-hand experience with the Winchester or Puma, but friends have both and regard them highly.
    I am wanting to shoot a heavier bullet than 265 grain.

Default great close range deer gun

used to shoot a 44 ruger carbine when I was a kid. Great deer gun out to about 100 yards. Puts a whallop on them. Good in the brush for wild boar at close range but I wouldn't use one here in AK except as a collectors item.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag with the micro groove barrel. It is an older gun without the cross bolt safety and with the slow twist. I can shoot hard cast 280 grain WFN GC (Bear Tooth) bullets because the bullet is so short with it's wide flat nose. It feeds them well and they will group about 1 1/2" at fifty yards with my aperature sights. I had to size these at .431" to get them to group in this micro barrel. The.432" actually work shoot better but are hard to chamber. That is probably the heaviest bullet that will stabilize in this 38" twist. This is from a 20" barreled carbine.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have zero personal experience with the model, but a couple of friends are really proud of their Ruger 96/44 carbines. The model is disconintued, but secondhand reports say that its 1:20 twist barrel is super accurate with heavy bullets, cast or jacketed. It might be worth tracking down, especially for your wife. If she's anything like my wife, she'll hate feeding a tubular magazine while enjoying the ease of using a removeable magazine. The short bolt throw of the model is also a plus for small people.

I've got my eyes open for one, but if I hear about two I'll pass along the info. Just don't tell my wife, cuzz it's going to be a surprise!!

I have had a couple ROSSI M-92 clones. Would not mind having another Browning B-92.

My load for the carbine while out in the berry patches.

310 grain SSK hard cast keith style bullet
    21.5 grains H-110
    CCI 350 Mag Prmer
    RP brass.
    Seated to work in the M-92 action with a heavy roll crimp.

From a 20 inch barrel

1,602 fps average.

From a 6.5 inch S&W M-29

1,226 fps
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 44

I have owned a Ruger 99/44, a Ruger 77/44, a Ruger carbine, a Marlin carbine, and a Remington 788 in 44 mag. The Remington 788 is an absolute tack driver and a far more accurate than all the others. I actually took it out tonight to see if it still shoots and I put three in the same hole at 50 yds with open sights.

I've owned a Marlin 1894 for about 30 years or so. I usually just shoot either factory loaded 240's or a couple of handloads using 240's. I have a AO ghost ring setup on it with the ramp front sight. It's a nice, adequately-powerful, lightweight little setup. If you're wanting to shoot heavier-than-norm or cast bullets out of it, or light loads, then I think I'd lean toward a lever, since you wouldn't have to worry about getting the right formula to cycle a semi-auto. I have no complaints about my Marlin, and would recommend it. Plus it holds 10 rounds, which should keep you in ammunition for a while.

If it were me, I would order a Rossi 92 from Steve Young (www.stevesgunz.com). He'll take a brand new one and do his action job and send it to you for probably close to what you'd pay for one locally (but without the action job). He can also do stuff like install a fiber optic front sight, and a Williams or other type of receiver peep sight.

I bought a 92 but it was before I knew about Steve. Mine is very accurate with heavy (280 - 325 grain) bullets out to 100 yards, and with the exception of the rough action from the factory I love it.

Mike

Default thanks

thanks for the responses and the recipe there floatplane, will look into that.

thanks for the responses and the recipe there floatplane, will look into that.
    apologies meant float_pilot

Default Mod. 94 Winchester

I have a Mod. 94 Win. .44 mag. It holds 10 of those 280 grain hard cast bullets and is fun to shoot. My wife carries it sometimes when we go hunting. So far I have shot 1 coyote with it. We keep it in our bed room. So I guese it is my varmit rifle???!!!

I had a ruger 96/44 and thought it was awesome. I only target practiced with it but it shot well. I had planned on hunting with 265 Hornadys but I sold it before I hunted with it.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Heavy caliber lever gun

I'm not a hunter, but really like the looks of the Marlin guide gun in SS. Is the 45-70 the most common load for this gun? I think I saw one in the other forum for sale that was in .450 Marlin; differences (cost/performance)?
    Just like lever guns in general, but would think a 45-70 or heavier in one would be adequate bear protection (we already have a Mossberg Mariner short pump 12 ga, 44 mag revolver, and 454 Casull (SS).
    I'm guessing that ammo in the 45-70 caliber would be the most economical?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Default Oops,

I meant my last post about 45-70's to be a new thread; can anyone put it as such or do I just "re-thread"?
    Thanks,
    Jim