Thread: Eagle Peak Info?

Smile Eagle Peak Info?

I'm planning to climb Eagle Peak this year. I had hoped to do it in the middle of August but I'm worried there is still too much snow on the summit. I am a very experienced hiker, but a non-technical climber (I would prefer to not have to use my crampons, let alone ropes). Has anyone been back to Eagle Lake/Cantata/Eagle Peak area and have any info on the conditions? Thanks in advance!

From what I can see from where I live in Eagle River, and my last time to Symphony Lake, just over a month ago (right next to Eagle Lake), the conditions should be pretty good. I would carry crampons with you if you have them, but likely if you encounter snow, simply kicking steps in should suffice. The only issue I forsee in August is a bad weather day (but then again, that's Alaska in the summer). Good luck

Default Send PM?

to BrianM, I think he hikes up there from time to time.

I'm guessing he's already tried or shelved the plans for the winter, but I've been up Eagle Peak before and would be happy to tell you what I know. We dealt with quite a lot of snow on our summit trip, but we went from the Eagle River side and not up the back from Symphony Lake, which is generally an easier route. I'm hoping to check out that side next summer, so if you're up for a partner let me know.