Thread: target back-stops

Default target back-stops

I recall a recent thread about targets with some good ideas tossed around. I was wondering what folks use for back-stops? Basically, what are you relying on to stop your arrow in the event you miss the target. I know a natural hillside, sand pile, etc are likely options. I'm just not impressed with bales of hay. Of course there's the other obvious answer: just buy a bigger target! However, I'm looking for something to keep from sticking some field points into my board fence. I've made the commitment to switch to traditional archery, and I know I'm going to miss the target (maybe lots) until I get proficient. I've seen the big rubber "strip" back-stops they have at the Rabbit Creek archery range. Those work well, but man are they tough to pull an arrow out of. Any other ideas? I was thinking perhaps an old, really heavy duty canvas tarp doubled over....?

Default Bales of hay

When I was starting out I would use bales of hay. I did this down in the world and hay was easy to come by. It my be a little harder to find hay up here but it can be done.

Tracy
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I've got one that is a giant bag made of crosshatch patterned plastic, like they make sandbags out of. It's about 5' square and stuffed full of scrap stretch film plastic that they use to wrap up pallet loads. The bag came from the bow shop and the plastic was scavenged from a local business (who were happy to get rid of a huge pile of "trash"). I've had it hanging in the woods for probably 20 years now. Still in great condition and will stop any target point with no more than 3-4 inches of penetration.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We use bails of straw,but we only use them to prop up "THE BLOCK" off the ground. As for a backboard, we use simple 1/2 inch plywood. Arrow usually goes thru the wood 1/2 way, unscrew the tip and pull it out. We havent had any problems when using field tips for target practice with a plywood backboard, now using broadheads is another thing, the blades stick in the wood!

Smile

"Back-Stops" Behind my target, I used to hang an old carpet in case of a stray or miss. The carpet would suck up the hit(energy) from the arrow almost stopping it in it`s tracks, letting the arrow fall to the ground no worse for wear. Never had one go through.
    Needed that set-up because I used to practice in my back yard. Worked for me and my situation.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have found the trees work well.. though they play heck on your arrows...Then there is the natural moss and long grass method they tend to slow your arrows way down before they strike somthing so it wont get damaged.... may be i will try that carpet idea... 4 kids with bows hmmmmm........

I shoot a lot in my backyard and have only missed once. The neighbor behind us is quite a ways off, and we have kind of a greenbelt area behind us. The arrow nicked off a pole on my daughter's swingset, then went through two slats in the fence, which actually broke the arrow in two. Found both pieces by the creek right on the back of my property.

I'm thinking of a piece of carpet or something similar to hang from the swingset might help in the future in case that ever happened again.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default rubber matt

We used to go to the gravel pit and get the old conveyer belting. If you hang it loose arrows do not stick in it and no damage done to your arrows.

I have a 3 inch thick 24 x 28 inch target. I set it on the ground and if I miss the arrows just go into the dirt. Some of my broadheads just go right through the target also. There is a bit of a slope and the ground is heavily grassed. So its just like shooting into hay anyways.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    There is a bit of a slope and the ground is heavily grassed. So its just like shooting into hay anyways.
    Yes we know, we have seen pictures of your hay field