Thread: Fish Hook Failure

Angry Fish Hook Failure

OK, this is rare, but it happens I guess. I was catching Pinks, Chums, and Silvers this weekend with an Egg Sucking Leech, size 3 or 4. Twice on one Silver and one Chum, I lost the fish thinking they threw the hook. After a few casts, I noticed something different about the fly, and low and behold, the hook had snapped in half about where the shank straightens out. Both ESL involved were bought at a local chain here in town (guess I can't mention here). While they were well tied and caught many fish, the hooks were crap! Next time I'm in ########## ######### I will tell someone that their vender should look into a beefier hook for our alaskan brutes. I know this is rare, but twice within minutes is too much for me; so I switched to another type (manufacturer) after that with no problems....and not as many hook-ups.

Anyone else ever have that happen to them? I had it happen pike fishing once before, but never again. Even on bad snags, the hook usually bends, but not snap. Probobly because of those nasty kype teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    OK, this is rare, but it happens I guess. I was catching Pinks, Chums, and Silvers this weekend with an Egg Sucking Leech, size 3 or 4. Twice on one Silver and one Chum, I lost the fish thinking they threw the hook. After a few casts, I noticed something different about the fly, and low and behold, the hook had snapped in half about where the shank straightens out. Both ESL involved were bought at a local chain here in town (guess I can't mention here). While they were well tied and caught many fish, the hooks were crap! Next time I'm in ########## ######### I will tell someone that their vender should look into a beefier hook for our alaskan brutes. I know this is rare, but twice within minutes is too much for me; so I switched to another type (manufacturer) after that with no problems....and not as many hook-ups.

Anyone else ever have that happen to them? I had it happen pike fishing once before, but never again. Even on bad snags, the hook usually bends, but not snap. Probobly because of those nasty kype teeth?
    Chemically sharpened hooks are usually brittle. I`ve had this happen w/silvers on popular hooks.

Yep, had it happen a lot. Usually it is a manufacturing issue with the hook.
    Very well could have been a bad batch of hooks.

Haven't had the hooks break, but I've had a few bend...until I started "testing" all the hooks on the pre-made flies I buy. I'll squeeze the tip and shank together (not enough to premanently bend them, and then only on salmon hooks ). If I feel too much give, I don't buy that fly. Since I've been doing that, I haven't had a bent hook yet...the fly itself wears out first and all I'm left with is the hook...

I've also noticed the quality of hooks varies within the same group of flies. I've found wimpy hooks with stout ones in the same pattern.

Or better yet, I need to start tying my own...

I know where you picked up the flies, and I have the same problem. That is the cost of buying the pre-made flies. They try to keep the costs down, so they use hooks that aren't as good. There are only a couple of patterns that I do buy, but everyone has had broken hooks. But at less than a dollar a fly, I can live iwth that loss. Just be sure to check your hok every time you snag up or after you land a fish. If you see that it is starting to bend, either change it out so you don't loose the fish. Or just contiue to use it unitl it fails and enjoy teh long distance release.

Tie your own - its really not that hard, then you can perform your own quality control when it comes to hooks

I've had trout bend the crap out of those egg sucking leech hooks. They're really phony personally.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

While I was "in the business" I had a Kenya (Africa) fly tying outfit send me several dozen of their flies to evaluate. They all looked very well tied and I couldn't buy the materials to tie them myself for the price they charged per dozen! Anyway, long story short... Almost every one of the flies I tried broke at the bend. And these were dry's in sizes 14 and 16 that grayling were breaking!!!! I was using 3 lb test tippets so it was not because of "horseing", just very brittle hooks. These were not chemically sharpened by the way.

Unhappy

I lost a huge silver on the Kenai Sunday due to a treble breaking on a kwikfish K-13. I'll replace the factory hooks from now on.