Thread: Troublesome Creek

Default Troublesome Creek

No reports on this location this year....anyone check it out yet? Saw a few cars at the trail this past Sunday. Also, is there a lot of fishable space at the mouth?; never been there myself. Guess I just don't hear much about it, except in the book "Alaska Bear Tales".

I wouldn't say there is a bunch of room at the mouth, but enough. Been a couple of years since I hiked back in there. A lot of bears.

Question Bears?

How bad are the bears there and are they grizzlies or blacks or both? I was thinking of trying it later this month.

I spent some time up there years ago. Never actually saw a bear, but sign was everywhere. I think there's both brown and black. Hooked some nice fish at the mouth, some sort of salmon, but the current in the Chulitna is rippin' so bring stout gear. Upstream there was some good rainbow fishing, but requires a bit of a hike. The stream is hard to access a lot of the way, but there are some honey holes if you go far enough.

The one thing I remember more then anything was the exceptionally huge number of mosquitos. I've been here 30+ years and that was some of the worst I've ever encountered. Might have just been that summer's weather, though.

Default both

Black and Browns in there. Good numbers too.

Question Camping?

Isn't there a camping area and hiking trail that follows ther river back to the east into the state park?

There's a trail access on the east side of the highway, a bit north of the bridge over Troublesome Creek if I remember correctly. From what I recall, there wasn't much there...don't remember camping areas, but it's been years so I could be wrong.

I just read a press release from DNR saying that Troublesome Creek Trail is closed due to flooding in 2006 that washed out big sections of trail. Expected re-routed trail completion is in 2009 sometime. So, you might want to try somewhere else.....

Haven't fished that area since I was surrounded by 4 bears in 10 minutes time on Byers (next creek north) several years ago, but here's what I know:

1. It is INFESTED with bears. Both kinds.

2. The trail that parallels the upper section is normally closed in the fall because of the ridiculous number of bears in the area. Guy I knew said they flew over it one year and counted either 36 or 46 bears, can't remember which but it was alarming.

3. The mouth is a very short walk, but not a ton of room to fish, enough for a couple guys though.

4. I fished trout, not salmon. Good numbers, not a ton of size.