Thread: Short Barreled 454 loads

Default Short Barreled 454 loads

Does anyone have an accurate recipe for a heavy cast bullet for the 454 Alaskan? I have been getting disappointing results from H-110 and 315 cast bullets however, my 45LC loads are producing surprisingly tight groups. I know it's possible I just don't have the time or money to experiment with all of the different possible combinations out there.

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    Does anyone have an accurate recipe for a heavy cast bullet for the 454 Alaskan? I have been getting disappointing results from H-110 and 315 cast bullets however, my 45LC loads are producing surprisingly tight groups. I know it's possible I just don't have the time or money to experiment with all of the different possible combinations out there.

Post this as a question to RANGER RICK or PM him. He has loads worked up for his heavy bullets that he sells. I have been using his bullets in my 20" barrel PUMA rifle. I don't have a clue what kind of velocity you would get from a short barrel.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I'm sure Rick has some good data also but the snubby 454 doesn't work well with H110. Vihta N110 is much better and I have some data for a Ruger Alaskan. Also the short barreled 454 is just never going to be a top performer, its wings are clipped.

You mention 315 grains but I'll say heavier is better, 350 grains and up, because velocity will be low with all weights so the thing to do is add weight to get horse power, if that makes sense. The 454 really becomes a serious smacker with heavy weights anyway.

You can use H110. It will not all burn and will be sooty. It will give abig muzzle flash, but it will work. The 45 Colt case is much smaller and with the smaller load of powder, even with the same bullet, is much more efficient and that aids accuracy. It is also easier to shoot.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,
    I have been a member of this forum long enough to know that you know your bullets so I will just take your advice on this and buy a pound of Vihta N110. Is there a lot of published data out there on this powder or will I just have to experiment with it? Can you recommend a good load?

I realize that I will not get superb accuracy with this gun but I would like it to be as efficient as possible.