Thread: Tanana at Manley

Question Tanana at Manley

Was thinking of heading out to check out Manley area this weekend and was wondering what the river-speed is like out there on the Tanana. I know what its like above George Creek (cooking pretty fast in my opinion) and was wondering if it has slowed down out there and is more braided with many options for running in slower water... kinda like the area south of Fairbanks and the Salchakett. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated... also how its going to compare with all the flood waters would be kinda nice if anyone has an idea... Thanks in advance!

Default Water level

I have a cabin near the mouth of the Kantishna and run up from Manley quite often. The river is quite wide and braided down at Manley. If you stay to the Baker creek side it shouldn't be bad. Once past Baker creek you'll cross a narrower area near the bluff. That will be moooovin. If you have plenty of power and a prop you'll be fine. Watch those whirlpools near that bluff. I have a 90 Honda jet. Plenty of power but.... That jet sucks up so much garbage. I had to stop 3 times in the first 5 miles to clean the grate. (I hate birch bark) With the river moving that fast make sure your out in the middle when you shut down and clean. If you go give me a holler on here and let me know how high it really got down there.

Default Thanks

Thats quite helpful... I run a go-devil so no worries about birch bark, birch trees, debris etc... but its a bit less horsepower than I would have liked had I known how addictive fishing the rivers is! Its just a 9hp that I have modded up to a 13 or so on a 16x48 boat. Saving money for next years upgrade now... Anyhow, I may see what I can do this weekend.... whereabouts do you normally launch in Manley?

Well, you've got 2 options...the Manley Slough which you can put in right in Manley and run to the Tanana, or the so-called landing (sketchy) a few miles out of town into the Tanana River.

With the Go-Devil I'm sure you'd be fine running the Manley Slough down to the Tanana, it can be shallow/muddy at the mouth of the slough, but I've heard it's in good shape right now and one can run the Queen Mary out of there....

If you've got access to Google Earth, look at the area and it'll clarify the location of the slough and the Tanana landing...

Hope this helps,
    Matt

Default Launching

You can launch right in town at that ramp. Decent spot. Or you can follow the road on through town and go 3 miles right to the river. I normally launch directly into the river (saves me 8 miles) but in high water the current may make the river launch a challenge. It has a back eaddie where you launch but in strong current it will swing your boat off the trailer and right against the upstream bank. That makes it easy to load stuff and get in/out but just be aware getting on/off the trailer. If you want to try a shorter interesting run check out the zitziana river. It is on the South side about 5 miles up from Manley. It's mouth is into a slough so it is easy to miss. Look for a picnic table up on the bank(wierd landmark I know) and that is the slough to enter. Nice little river that will be a good run for go-devils. You can go for days up in there. Pike, shee fish, etc up there. Might be an idea for moose season (hint hint)

Default Thanks!

The folks on this forum never cease to amaze me with their helpfulness.... Thanks again!

Default manley boat launch

hi all, nor trying to hi-jack the thread, but can you tell me about the launch at manley,and the slough itself for a 24' hewes? is it ok and can i park a trailer for 2 weeks or so?? thinking moose season. thanks again bob
    alaskabob

Default Parking

The launch in town at the slough is fairly small and they want you parked over near the roadhouse. Not bad but.... Water levels at hunting season are dropping. The slough may be high and nearly dry by the time you get back. Last season I had to drag the boat 75 feet to get it back in the river water after the river dropped that slough is not that deep so a 2foot river level drop could mean slough problems. Challenging time of year. No guarantees on the slough. The landing on the river (before flooding) wasn't bad. Someone had used a backhoe and the ramp was pretty decent. After the flooding????? There is parking down there. You'll see the most comical batch of boats and characters down there on opening weekend. Some are just plain scary. You can leave a vehicle but make sure you can secure everything just in case. See ya there.