Thread: Salmon Shark

Default Salmon Shark

Anybody know any good recipes?? After a long battle got one last week and have a lot of eatin for me and the family to do and need some creative recipes.

I have tried it in a variety of ways, but the recipe I like best is to deep fry pieces of it in a coconut beer batter. You can also grill it like you would swordfish steaks or halibut.

Quote Originally Posted by aayers View Post
    Anybody know any good recipes?? After a long battle got one last week and have a lot of eatin for me and the family to do and need some creative recipes.

Do you use shredded coconut and just put it in the beer batter??

Marinate 1" thick steaks in a mixture of equal parts soy sauce and lime juice mixed with LOTS of black pepper. After at least a half hour, grill it to taste. I'm not sure about shark, but ahi is better on the rare side. The lime juice will cause the meat to change color somewhat before cooking, but that's normal. Very simple recipe, but very tasty!

I guess you could try that, but I like the easier route by using one of the Alaskan Gourmet Batters.

http://www.alaskangourmetbatter.com/

Fantastic...

Quote Originally Posted by aayers View Post
    Do you use shredded coconut and just put it in the beer batter??

Exclamation remember....

children and women who are (or expect to become) pregnant should not eat more than 4 oz. of salmon shark, yelloweye, large halibut or lingcod per month (personally we don't feed ANY to our boy) due to potentially hazardous levels of naturally occuring methyl mercury.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    children and women who are (or expect to become) pregnant should not eat more than 4 oz. of salmon shark, yelloweye, large halibut or lingcod per month (personally we don't feed ANY to our boy) due to potentially hazardous levels of naturally occuring methyl mercury.

Dave

Just curious where you cut off the size limit on halibut for your boy? I've heard in the neighborhood of 75 lbs., but have usually kept them all under 50 (just because I haven't caught anything too much bigger ).
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Wink

we eat very little halibut (figuratively and literally<grin>)
    usually i will drop a downrigger just off the bottom a bit west of the spit, troll 'til i find a few and then jig until i get one big enough for dinner, usually 5-6 pounds.
    get a few bigger ones trolling off the bluff, but i rarely target halibut.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Marinate 1" thick steaks in a mixture of equal parts soy sauce and lime juice mixed with LOTS of black pepper. After at least a half hour, grill it to taste. I'm not sure about shark, but ahi is better on the rare side. The lime juice will cause the meat to change color somewhat before cooking, but that's normal. Very simple recipe, but very tasty!
    Wow that is a great taste- can't even describe it. This shark is really good.

Just outta curiosity, where did you catch it? Guided? Thanks...

Boy, I gotta imagine eating enough of it even without the risk of pregnancy might not be a good thing either due to the mercury? How many pounds of meat came off this hog?

BTW,