Thread: Anchorage to Galbraith/Happy Valley

Default Anchorage to Galbraith/Happy Valley

I am planning to fly my plane from Anchorage to Galbraith or Happy Valley for some caribou hunting August 29th to Sept 6th. If anyone is planning to fly from Anchorage up there in the August 29th or 30th time frame and would not mind company, let me know. It would be nice to have another plane around for emergency purposes. The other people in our party will be driving up with a motor home and plane fuel.
    Any ideas or suggestions about what to watch out for along the way would also be appreciated.

Default point 02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    I am planning to fly my plane from Anchorage to Galbraith or Happy Valley for some caribou hunting August 29th to Sept 6th. If anyone is planning to fly from Anchorage up there in the August 29th or 30th time frame and would not mind company, let me know. It would be nice to have another plane around for emergency purposes. The other people in our party will be driving up with a motor home and plane fuel.
    Any ideas or suggestions about what to watch out for along the way would also be appreciated.

Be prepared for winter weather; especially this year.

I have made the flight to the North Slope quite a few times. I really enjoy it. The Brooks Range is some of the prettiest country in the state to fly in my opinion.

You didn't say what you are flying, but in a Cub with stock tanks it is a good idea to carry extra fuel as you can get some strong NE winds on the north side for the range. Especially if you are flying all the way to Deadhorse. I typically fuel in Fairbanks, top off in Bettles (ouch), through Anaktuvuk Pass to my destination.

Happy Valley can have quite a bit of plane traffic at certain times of the year, so monitor the radio.

I may be flying up there again this year, but if I do it will probably be around the 18th. If that does happen, my plane would be on the slope until the 10th of September if you needed any help.

Shane