Thread: Help with planning my PWS trip tomorrow

Default Help with planning my PWS trip tomorrow

I am taking the boat out of Whittier tomorrow, the marine forecast looks good so far, I'll check the 1600 report too though. I plan to go through culross passage, I've been there once with a friend. The plan is to go to Knight Island, or better yet Green Island. It's just for the day, but I'll be ready for two.
    1. Any good places I should stop and fish down around Knight Island? Silvers, Halibut, lings, whatever.
    2. What's the best way to get through Knight Island? I see three passages without going around, or:
    3. Is it better to go through Knight Island Passage and go down towards Latouche?

I already have a plan, but if anyone has any special ideas that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I am taking the boat out of Whittier tomorrow, the marine forecast looks good so far, I'll check the 1600 report too though. I plan to go through culross passage, I've been there once with a friend. The plan is to go to Knight Island, or better yet Green Island. It's just for the day, but I'll be ready for two.
    1. Any good places I should stop and fish down around Knight Island? Silvers, Halibut, lings, whatever.
    2. What's the best way to get through Knight Island? I see three passages without going around, or:
    3. Is it better to go through Knight Island Passage and go down towards Latouche?

I already have a plan, but if anyone has any special ideas that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
    I was also wondering a good place to camp. I have heard the south end of Culross there might be a beach?

Default PM

Wildog sent you a PM

I'm looking for the same info. I'm taking the relatives out on Thursday with a rented boat. I've been out in PWS quite a few times, but I'd like this trip to go as smoothly as possible. Hoping to hook a few butts which I think I can handle but wouldn't mind tips, and areas where salmon currently are would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I'm looking for the same info. I'm taking the relatives out on Thursday with a rented boat. I've been out in PWS quite a few times, but I'd like this trip to go as smoothly as possible. Hoping to hook a few butts which I think I can handle but wouldn't mind tips, and areas where salmon currently are would be great.
    Tom,
    I searched archives and found out some places if that's any help.

Ok I'll search the archives as well. I guess halibut aren't quite as seasonal and location specific as salmon so perhaps info from past years would still hold true. It's just my sister and brother in law spent a decent chunk of change to come up here with the kids and I want to show them a good time

Though, we hit the little su this morning and nailed the silvers big time. We're going to hit it again tomorrow (wed) morning with the kids.

I was also wondering a good place to camp. I have heard the south end of Culross there might be a beach?
    Yes, there is a beach on the south end of Cullross. Should be fit for camping. Earlier this year we pulled in between Culross and Applegate for some lunch and a group of kyakers was setting up camp there. From the boat it seemed like a good spot to me. But, I never put a boot on the ground so take that for what it's worth.

Do you have a copy of the Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by the Lethcoe's? All kinds of good info in there about this kind of stuff.

As far as getting around the northern tip of Knight goes, I've been through the passage between Knight and Disk a couple of times. Easily passable. And there's a nice lagoon on the south side of disk if you have to hole up for a while. I've never been to Green, so I can't tell you if going around the north or south side of Knight is better. Sure seems like a pretty long fetch from the north side of Knight down to Green though.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Report frmo today

Today was wonderful, my first real trip to the sound. I don't know how many miles we went but I'm sure it was over 100. We did not go to Green, but next time I will.
    We went through pea soup fog first, it lifted and we tore through culross about 45mph. Then we went over to Knight Island, and fished outside Herring Bay, but no luck. Then we went southwest? to Chenault Island I think it was called, (no luck fishing), then over to the south end of Knight where we caught silvers (they were everywhere), then circled Knight and passed back up through the North end by Sphinx, then to Perry and stopped for a while, and then to Esther, then to some rockes with a million sea lions, then Pigeot Point, then home. It was flat as a pancake the whole day, lots of sun, and we had a blast. I can't wait to go again, even though the fishing wasn't that great. ( I need to find halibut spots there ). Thanks for the info. That place must take a long time to figure out, but we had a blast and learned a lot for our first trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images

then to Perry and stopped for a while, and then to Esther, then to some rockes with a million sea lions, then Pigeot Point, then home. .
    The Egg Rock, was there last Sat, great spot.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.