Thread: Rabbits

Default Rabbits

Ok my favorite spot Pt. mckeenze is no longer there. And I have had no luck trying to find a new spot. Anyone got any idea where I can go and shoot a couple with my bow?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Skilak Lake Loop

Default Do you have a wheeler?

If so, I will keep you in mind when I head out to Knik this fall/winter. We did well out there last year, probably averaged 7-10 per trip and saw a lot we couldn't get.

Let me know if you are interested.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Knik

This year there was a monsterous population of rabbit, but they were a good 10 miles in from the pavilion. While coyote hunting this spring there were rabbits darting in every which direction I could possibly see. Even in the Friday Creek woods the rabbits were so abundant we could have taken dozen of these furry little animals if we tried.

Do you need a wheeler to get out there or can you walk out ?

Lookin' for a place to take my girl friend out and let her try.

Thanks,

Jon

Default Drive your truck

In the winter, after Jim creek is frozen, I take my truck out there quite a bit. I have a few places that I like to hunt and simply drive my truck nearby then walk the woods for an hour or two. A wheeler is pretty much mandatory if you want to cross Jim creek when it is open though (unless you have a 4x4 with some big tires and clearance). I would imagine there are a fair amount of rabbits around the woods near the parking area which you could walk around in, but I like getting away from the more populated areas.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Come on first frost. I ready for them bunnies
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

If you don't mind the drive, this appears to be a boom or near boom year around Anderson. My last trip to Fbx I counted 20 or so dead ones between the Rex Bridge and the Nenana Airport with most being along the alders just south of the Anderson/Clear turn off

Default If you head north...

Gobs of them along the Tok Cut-off and even more (that would be gobs +) along the Alaska Highway between Tok and the Richardson River Bridge. Probably lots beyond that too, but that's where I turned around.

Near cold foot I have seen herds of bunnies along the road.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I moved to Alaska from Arizona where about 5 or six years ago it was bad too eat rabbits. I think they carried some nasty diseases in the winter time although I had been eating them all the time up until then. Are they ok to eat up here. If so how do you recommend preparing them.

As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the rabits up here. I like to debone my rabbits. I take the meat and dip it in an egg and milk mixture. Then I put it in a bowl full of crushed up crackers. Then all you do is pan fry the pieces. Deep frying them with a cornbread batter is nice too!

Default tularema

Rabbits carry tularema and tapeworms, you can tell if they have tularema by spots on the liver and if they have tapeworms you'll see little sacs torward their rectum when gutting. They are still edible either way as cooking will kill both but you should always wear gloves when handling rabbits, another name for tularema is rabbit fever. I like to cook my rabbits in a preasure cooker, 20 minutes for soups, pot pie, and barbecue and 10 minutes to fry like wombat. The meat will just fall from the bone Mmmm...