Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad Day at Ship Creek

Default Sad Day at Ship Creek

Just got back from taking the kids(mine and neighbors) down to Ship Creek. I have a aluminum skiff that I use to go and float some eggs. Usually there are several other boats there. Tonight it was just me. Soon after arriving and starting to drop some lines, I noticed that a young lady had got herself stuck in the mud a little ways downstream from me. She was there by herself on the East side of the river upstream from the insulfoam plant. Nobody else was around and she was up to her crotch in mud. It didn't take long to realize that she was in serious trouble. The water was up to the same level shortly after. I motored over to her to try to get her out. She was very upset and crying. She said that she just got here from Kodiak and somebody on Elmendorf told her to go down there fishing. While I totally admire the fact that she wanted to fish, she did make a mistake. This poor gal was probably 15-20 minutes from death by the time I finally pulled her into the skiff. We were VERY lucky to get her out. That is the Happy part.

She said that she wanted to go back up to the bridge, so I motored up around the corner. There was a line of about 15 men fishing. We asked how deep the water was so I could get up to the shore under the bridge. I told them that this gal was just pulled out of the mud and was very lucky to be here. They acted like I was not there. One older guy made a smart comment about her crying. In hindsight I should have taken her to the dock. I am upset with myself for that, especially after the way she was treated. This poor gal was covered in mud and was crying. She tried to walk up the bank and fell down. Her pants were falling down. Not one of the 15 or so "MEN?" would put down their rod to help her. Not only that, but several had to have rude comments.

As I started to go back down the river, my blood started to boil. I turned the boat around and went back to let them know that this gal was close to dieing. and that I could not believe that they had no compassion. Several made their comments. I told them I hope that their fish was worth it. I hope one day that they don't need help and they get the same response. By the time I got back to the same spot I was in, the water would have been at her head level. I must say that a gentleman did come from across the creek(westside) and wanted to help , but there was nothing he could do without putting himself at serious risk. Though I probably shouldn't be,I was embarrassed by what some "men" have become.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Holy crap. I'm glad / not glad I didn't go down there tonight. Thankfully folks like you are still around. This is just disgusting.

Default what goes around comes around

That is a pathetic response from the so called men fishing. Sounds like God had you in the right place at the right time. Nice work!

Angry

That just tells you where this world is heading!!! It's all about ME ME ME!!!
    Thank God there are still a few (too few) people, like yourself that will help a stranger in need.
    I think a nice little a Apocolypse designed to remove the losers and degenerates that seem to be taking over the world will make life better!!!!

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - EDMUND BURKE.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default Sad

Thank god you were down there to help the lady out. I cannot believe those guys would not help the lady out when she was obviously upset and crying, and I cannot believe the lack of sympathy showed on their part. Fishing is just not worth it when somebody needs help like that lady did.
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default My admiration...

You have it...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default First of..

all let me say there is no sport worth it to not stop and help someone out!!! I am sorry that the people of the male gender(as I refuse to call them men-whether it was a man OR woman that needed help) were thoughtless and rude. I can say that had my friends and I been there it would have been different, due to the shall we say "respect" most of the people at Ship treat us with(sometimes admittedly unwillingly). I hope she doesn't give up on fishing Ship and maybe my friends or I can help her catch some fish there and restore her faith in this area of the state.

Second, I would like to think that maybe she didn't follow advice given by whomever on Elmendorf told her to try Ship. I hope that with as many military personell from both EAFB and Ft. Rich that have been warned AND "saved from the mud" themselves, they would have warned her about it! AND SHAME ON ANYONE WHO WAS AT THE CREEK, SAW HER HEADING TOWARDS THE MUD BY HERSELF ON AN INCOMING TIDE, AND SAID NOTHING!!!!!!

Default Wow, all I can say....

You most certainly saved a life. Who knows if someone else would have noticed her predicament? With her stuck that deep, itís a miracle you were able to free her. Thatís a fishing story you will remember forever. After hearing your tale, I think Iím as disappointed as you are with the selfish and clueless anglers you encountered along the bank yesterday. No good deed goes unpunished.

It's unbelievable! I can't believe no one would lend a hand to help the young lady obviously in distress? Is catching a fish really that important that nothing else matters?

When I was a kid, my dad would literally kick me in the ass if I was rude or didn't use my manners. Hated it back then but it made me the man I am today. Maybe we just need a big dude with a really heavy boot walking up and down the line of them.

Very good for you to save her.

That is disgusting that there are slime who will not help.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

SF,
    It was good thing you even noticed her down there. Sounds to me that the people fishing around her, just didn't give a GD and that they are all ignorant, selfish, mean or just plain STUPID!
    Thanks for what ya did. That poor gal.
    Although it would be funny if she went back down there and kicked the crap out of any of the guys that were there that night. Morally, she would have every right to do so!

Default Great Job!

Wow, to get her out of that crotch deep mud from a skiff, that's impressive. I can't believe the way people act anymore. The poor gal was minutes from dying and all they could care about was catching a few friggin silvers. Should've slit all the tires to their cars. Ok maybe not.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I think the proper response would have been (assuming you had an outboard jet) to tilt the jet up about 25 degrees and blasted all those lazy useless sob's with a 25mph blast of salt water and mud, and tear out with both middle fingers up.
    How can people just watch someone in trouble? I've seen people drive by someone in trouble, but to stand there and fish and watch a woman cry with the tide coming up?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default >>>------>

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I think the proper response would have been (assuming you had an outboard jet) to tilt the jet up about 25 degrees and blasted all those lazy useless sob's with a 25mph blast of salt water and mud, and tear out with both middle fingers up.
    How can people just watch someone in trouble? I've seen people drive by someone in trouble, but to stand there and fish and watch a woman cry with the tide coming up?
    That would be sweet,but they would probably claim it as some kinda racial hate crime.

Maybe I need to clarify. The men I am talking about actually could not see her stuck. She was downstream around the corner. It was when I brought her up to the bridge that they would not help and several had their comments. They were literally casting around my boat while I helped her out. Somebody did help her once she got further up the bank. I realize that there are some good people down there, just none of them were close at hand.
    She was lucky that I was down there in a boat. It is a 19' setnet skiff, so it was stable enough for me to really pull on her. My back will remind me of that for a few days.I did tell her that when she goes back to Elmendorf that she should tell them to give them more info on the dangers of fishing there. Granted, she did make some poor decisions, but she should not be ridiculed moments later. When I was driving out, I looked to see if there were any signs warning of the dangers of the tidal zone and there were not any. Maybe there should be? There were no trespassing signs from the RR though.
    As far as giving the losers a piece of my mind, I did what I thought was appropriate while having children with me. If they were not there it would been said a little differently!!!!! It was a good thing for the kids to witness what can happen in Cook Inlet mud. I think they have a little more respect for it now.

Although I can see why you thought this was a sad day, I cant help but see the good of what you've done.
    I just told my girlfriend the story and only after realized I omitted the part about the *******s...F$@#% them.

To me this is a story about one stranger helping another out of the goodness of his heart. The losers are always forgotten when stories get told.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 08-05-2008 at 12:58. Reason: Language
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Thumbs up Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    ...The losers are always forgotten when stories get told.
    I know it is really frustrating when people act the way the other fisherwussies acted, but the bottom line is that YOU did the right thing, and I have found that there are quite a few of YOU out there. I have gotten my butt stuck in some not-so-good situations, and I have been very fortunate to have people find me and help me out without a moment's hesitation.

It's terrible to see the bad side of people, and it makes for a more interesting conversation, perhaps, but I have seen a lot of the good side. (Especially getting a little outside of good ole' Anchortown.) Bravo, Sound Fisher. You done good!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by growden1 View Post
    Thank god you were down there to help the lady out.......
    Yup.

Good job, partner. To Hell with the jerks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast