Thread: North River Commander

Default North River Commander

I have an opportunity to buy a like new 2007 22' NR Commander with less than 10 hours on it (been on the water once). 9 hp kicker, downriggers, hardtop, radios, gps/fishfinder...basically brand new and ready to hit the water. They want $40K. I'm guessing this is a pretty screaming deal. Anyone have any idea what they are band new. Any experiences with the 212 jet? How do they handle on the ocean, say out of Valdez, Whittier, Anchor Pt? I've heard some nightmare stories regarding the Hamilton jets and the pumps seizing in rough waters. I have little 16' jon w/60 hp jet that I love now and I think this might be too big of a jump for me.

Default Fair Deal,but might not be what you want

Sounds like you want something for PWS? The Jet unit is Okay for the Ocean but is not my first choice. You end up having to constantly be on and off the throttle in rough seas, There are lots of screaming deals out there right now, just decide on the boating you want to do and get the best boat you can afford. As far as the 212 jet unit it is pretty rock solid and the North River boat is a great boat. But it is design to run shallow and run fast. Fast on rough seas is out the question and it is to hard to run at lower RPM's. Brand new prices run 55k and up

This is a good deal if you want an all purpose boat for rivers and close to shore fishing in the ocean on nice days. If you want a saltwater boat pass up this one and get something with a prop, deep V, and designed for rough water. You can get a good used ocean boat in this price range. If you want a river boat to take out on the ocean on occasion this isn't a bad deal. Lot's of river boats for sale right now. Make sure the boat has air ride seats or you'll have a sore back after a trip out of Seward or Whittier.

Default Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the info. Any way after sleeping on it I don't think it's quite the right time for me and this boat. If anyone is seriously interested in buying it though, PM me and and I'll give you the details.

Default No Worries

Don't be fooled, a jet boat in Prince William Sound is a great choice. I run a 25' Grayling jet with a hamilton 212 with a 426 hp 454.

I used to fly for a living, and our old moto was........"why check the weather, we are going anyway". This is not the case on the water- whether you own a jet or a prop, you should pay close attention to the weather and know your own limits...........and know them very well.

There are pro's and con's to deep V 's and jet boats, but for 3-4' seas, the jet will provide a good ride. If you are looking to run beyond Montague, or push your luck with your family in seas over 7-8', buy a deep V. Rest assured......everyone will be equally miserable under these conditions.

There are soooooo many places to duck out of the weather in Prince William Sound, if you get into trouble in the jet, you shouldn't have been out in the first place. However, Seward is a different animal.....and everyone on this forum that has been out of Seward will tell of early morning calm seas, with afternoon swells and spookey rides outside Resurrection Bay.

I love being able to beach my aluminum boat without fear. I do carry a shore dinghy, but rarely use it, and I dont worry about knocking off lower units when we are "ON STEP".

Always remember...........If there was 1 perfect boat, we would ALL have it!

Lots of adventures await...........you will make the right decision.

Default perfect boat

That is a great quote : We would all have the perfect boat !! I did a ton of research prior to my purchase and have been very happy with the results : shallow water ( 12- 16 inches on step ), PWS and long distance travel on rivers and ocean with maximum fuel efficiency. It is for sale........... You can reach me in Fairbanks 907-457-5383. I will pay the forum fee if things work out. - Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking price

I got a price quote from North River about 2 weeks ago. A 22 footer with a big block. canvas. And a trailer starts at 50.