View Poll Results: Do you support a Federal preference on Federal Lands for a Rural Priority?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 24.10%
  • No

60 72.29%
  • Abstaine

3 3.61%

Thread: The Mother Of all Polls!!!

Default The Mother Of all Polls!!!

Ok I am going to open a poll about subsistence, & find out where the majority of people stand on the issue of subsitence.

Default a lil mistake...;) :P

It should ask, Do you support a Rural Prefrence on Federal Lands in a time of shortage, but there's not enough room...I hope you get the gist of my poll though...>

My sincerist apologies for the small mistake..>

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Ity only exist because of ANSCA and ANILCA. Under the US Constitution the Federal Government is not allowed to own property other than Military Installations and Monuments. As a tax payer I find it repulsive that people that may have never paid a dime's worth of taxes to have a preference.

Default Of Course

NOT in any way.

The issue is more complex than having just a "rural" preferance. The federal system allows limits down to which village you reside in.
    Limiting how many people can hunt a certain area, in times of shortage, is a logical way to conserve game species. Deciding who can and can't hunt becomes difficult. The federal system allows those who can most economically benefit from the hunt to have first chance. The feds also take into account, right or wrong, customary users. While it is far from perfect, the system does help manage the number of hunters in the field.
    The feds have been at this game for a relatively short period of time. While the state has been manging wildlife since about 1960, the feds have only been actively participating since a few years after 1980. They are mostly piggybacking off state info and work with state managers. The biggest problem I see is that the fed system is actually geared more toward meeting human needs, while the state system is based on wildlife numbers.
    If any of you are active in any of the hunting groups, like SCI, B&C, APHA, I would highly urge you to pressure these groups to watch, and become involved with fed management.
    To answer the poll question..........to some degree I support the current system.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    .......To answer the poll question..........to some degree I support the current system.
    What do you think of Tier II?

Default Tier 2 regarding the nelchina herd

Mark, I know you asked martentrapper but I'm gonna give my 2 cents worth.

Scrap the tier 2. Its a joke anyways and way under regulated. all you gotta do is lie and you have a decent chance at a tag. Make it a draw, hell, most folks who hunt the nelchina are anchorage residents anyway.

I support the present system. Hunting is about food gathering. Game is the main food stores for most rural people.

I hunt and fish from spring to fall to fill my freezer full of food for the winter as my ancestors did before me. I don't hunt for the antlers to hang on my wall after the hunt.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

[quote=MARV1;22972]I hunt and fish from spring to fall to fill my freezer full of food for the winter as my ancestors did before me. quote]

Thats what all our ancestors did..However, they didn't have a freezer.

I hunt and fish cause its in my blood and its what I enjoy.. There are a lot of things my ancestors did-as little as 3 generations ago that would not be wise to do today..........

I see tier 2 as a necessary evil. The state needs some way to greatly reduce the number of users in the field, and tier 2 is what they've come up with to fit within the laws of this state.
    Hunting is about alot more than JUST food gathering.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The subject is way too complex for a simple yes or no answer. However, Tier II needs to be scrapped and those areas turned into draw areas.

Quote Originally Posted by chignik View Post
    I support the present system. Hunting is about food gathering. Game is the main food stores for most rural people.
    Having lived in the bush for 13 years out my 19 years up here I have become a supporter of rural preference after seeing the need firsthand. However, I think fedgov does a very poor job of managing it and would prefer SOA to do it instead.

As it is now unscrupulous folks make a living at playing fedgov off the state.

As Bill S. it is too complex for a simple yes or no answer and I agree with flushing Tier II and going to a drawing system.
    Now what ?