Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Pad ideas, got any

Default Sleeping Pad ideas, got any

Hey i'm leaving for a moose hunt in six weeks and i need a sleeping pad. What has worked for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot View Post
    Hey i'm leaving for a moose hunt in six weeks and i need a sleeping pad. What has worked for you?
    check the outdoor gear forum, there's a good thread over there on this topic.

What are you looking for? Do you need an insulated pad, do you have a bad back? I personally use an Exped Down Mat that is a little on the heavy side but super comfortable especially in cold weather. I have used it in temperatures down to 0F paired with a 0F bag and stayed nice and toasty. if you don't need the insulation you could probably get by with a thermarest prolite pad or something like that.

Jason B

This year I got a Therma-rest Pro-lite 4. It's their 4 season pad with an R-value of 3.2. Very light & compact (size of a Nalgene 1 qt bottle packed) for it's size (1.5" thick) & VERY comfortable. I've used a LOT of different pads in the past, but this is the best so far.
    http://www.thermarest.com/product_de...x?pID=41&cID=1
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default best sleeping pad ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot View Post

taught my wife to hunt too....................................

I have a thermarest guide light 3/4. I think the comparable version now a days is the prolite (3 or 4) short. Good pad, light, provides padding to your back and head, and not to your legs. The newer pads seem to have a little "grip" to them that should keep your bag from sliding off easily like mine does. Great pad, best I have ever used. If you want a lot of padding, there is another brand out there that ends up a few inches thick that you pump full of air. That looks really cush if weight isn't an issue.

Yet another vote for Thermalite Prorest 4. It's well worth the money unless your an ultralight hunter that is concerned about weight but for me, I'd rather have comfort. Anyway they are pretty light so you could haul it around without much effort.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

I've used a Ther-A-Rest ProLite 3 with a Therm-A-Rest Ridge Rest underneath.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Cabelas Alaskan Gudie Pad.

Default Big Agnes insulated Aircore

There has been a lot of discussion on the Big Agnes Aircore pads here in the past and I purchased one after reading the reviews here. I used it first on a winter hunt sleeping on the floor of a three season tent setup in th esnow at 30* below. The cold did not come through the insulated pad! It packs smaller then most thermarests and is lighter than anything that compares. I am not going to rehash what has been beaten numerous times before but here are some links to other reviews.

http://www.forums.outdoorsdirectory....archid=1547226

I just went out and purchased one for my wife as well. They are the only pad I have found that I can sleep comfortably on my side with and is still lightweight and small enough to pack for mountain hunts!

Default I've used a thermarest

prolite 3 for years and it has worked great! Even used in winter with -30 temperatures and kept the cold from coming up. Just recently found a heck of a deal on Big Agnes sleeping pads for $30 each (brand new) so bought 3 of them! They are more compact than the thermarest and inflate to 2.5 inches versus the 1.5.

Second the Big Agnes Insulated AirCore. Very plush and warm. Downside- You have to huff and puff to inflate it, or have a pump of some kind. If you're 4wheeling, you could probably get your tire pump to work. If on a float trip, the raft pump will work. HH

Third for the Agnes Insulated AirCore

I'll be sleeping on my BA Insulated Air Core in a few days.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thumbs up two pads..

Get a self inflatting pad and a closed cell foam pad. I like the thermarest pads. High quality. Get one of their self inflatting pads and put the closed cell pad under it. It will increase, nearly double, the R value. Also, if the self inflatting pad fails, you will have the insulation from the closed cell pad. Something many people overlook is that a pad only insulates you from the ground if it is inflatted. A busted pad, and you will be cold. The sleeping bag loft is very poor insulator under your body because it is compressed. Take the self inflatting for comfort, and have the closed cell under it for warmth (and added comfort). Be sure to get a repair kit for the self inflatting. The colder it is, the more you will value this system. Another suggestion, put the pads in your sleeping bag. No more rolling off the pad all night. Or you could put the self inflatting in the sleeping bag and perhaps have the closed cell foam under the bag. It is far better system than having one big thick pad that is heavy, bulky, and could bust leaving you SOL. You can also use the closed cell foam pad as a fireside camp chair. Much better than sitting on rocks. And unlike the self inflatting, you don't have to worry about it busting on the rocks or an ember from the fire ruining it. Just throw it on the ground and cop a squat. Additionally, this system packs smaller, is lighter in most cases, and has a built in back up plan. And we all know it is never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. Below are a few links ...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47736

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47727

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47739

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41057

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22499 (you will be glad you bought this) They are great and pack small
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another BigAgnes user here. I love mine. I hate to say it, though, I will be using one of those bed sized Coleman air mattresses on my next hunt because we have tons of room left in the Beaver and the tent The BigAgnes will come along for backup.

Default I'll try it

Besides the extra weight, thic combination sounds like a great idea. I have always used a blue closed cell type pad. I've been using the same old blue ensolite pad for 25 years complete with scars, tears and burn marks. I think I'll pair it with a Thermarest for this hunting season and slip it inside the bag like you suggest. Just brilliant. It's just normal procedure for me to slide off the blue pad and then wake up with a cold backside. I talked my wife into spending a couple days at hunting camp this year, so I need to re-think the comfort level a little so hopefully she will want to go on later trips.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Get a self inflatting pad and a closed cell foam pad. I like the thermarest pads. High quality. Get one of their self inflatting pads and put the closed cell pad under it. It will increase, nearly double, the R value. Also, if the self inflatting pad fails, you will have the insulation from the closed cell pad. Something many people overlook is that a pad only insulates you from the ground if it is inflatted. A busted pad, and you will be cold. The sleeping bag loft is very poor insulator under your body because it is compressed. Take the self inflatting for comfort, and have the closed cell under it for warmth (and added comfort). Be sure to get a repair kit for the self inflatting. The colder it is, the more you will value this system. Another suggestion, put the pads in your sleeping bag. No more rolling off the pad all night. Or you could put the self inflatting in the sleeping bag and perhaps have the closed cell foam under the bag. It is far better system than having one big thick pad that is heavy, bulky, and could bust leaving you SOL. You can also use the closed cell foam pad as a fireside camp chair. Much better than sitting on rocks. And unlike the self inflatting, you don't have to worry about it busting on the rocks or an ember from the fire ruining it. Just throw it on the ground and cop a squat. Additionally, this system packs smaller, is lighter in most cases, and has a built in back up plan. And we all know it is never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. Below are a few links ...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47736

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47727

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47739

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___41057

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___22499 (you will be glad you bought this) They are great and pack small

Default what you said...

"so I need to re-think the comfort level a little so hopefully she will want to go on later trips."

You said a mouthful man!

That some thinking is what motivates much of my thoughts on camping.

I take the wife on all my float trips. She has to be warm (most important) and well fed. If I do those two things, mama is happy.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Up until recently I was a mechanical insulator. I have a piece of "armaflex" insulation which we use for large tanks that do not get too hot I dunnow 3x4 foot by 2" thick. If you have a way to get ahold of some of that that is a pretty good way to go. One of these days I will put a cloth cover on it because it gets chewed up pretty easily, not really damaged, just chewed up.

Another happy thermarest user here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast