Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out the new 6-wheeler

Default Check out the new 6-wheeler

This may be old news to some but I just found out about this. Independant suspension, shaft drive oh man this thing looks awsome. The only thing I don't like is the 800 cc motor. I don't do that great with my 500 hate to have it be worse.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...-Sportsman_6x6
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    This may be old news to some but I just found out about this. Independant suspension, shaft drive oh man this thing looks awsome. The only thing I don't like is the 800 cc motor. I don't do that great with my 500 hate to have it be worse.

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...-Sportsman_6x6
    sob's, they would do this right after I bought one!

A dry weight of 1060 lbs?! Ouch. LOL. All I can say is, that coming from Polaris, I'm not suprised!

200lbs more than my 99. The 800 engine would be nice. What's the hoursepower on an 800?

It's not even a true 800cc engine. More like 760cc.

Man Curt.....we may have to upgrade!! That looks sweet!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's not even a true 800cc engine. More like 760cc.

Can't start a anti-Polaris rant on a 6-wheeler thread. Noone else makes anything like em. ain't they awsome.

I'll have one next year.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Hopefully lots of folks decide they need to upgrade, as I want to buy a used one (maybe two) within the next couple of years. I have noooo desire for an 800 engine, but maybe the used ones will drop just a tad in price in light of the new features.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Man Curt.....we may have to upgrade!! That looks sweet!
    I'm hearin' ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hopefully lots of folks decide they need to upgrade, as I want to buy a used one (maybe two) within the next couple of years. I have noooo desire for an 800 engine, but maybe the used ones will drop just a tad in price in light of the new features.
    DO I HAVE A DEAL FOR YOU!!!!......

2007 6X6 WITH 118MILES ON IT! Cost ya the price of the new 800 ...

$9600.00

As a previous owner of (2) Sportsman 800s, I am fairly ticked off Polaris went this route for the 6x6.

The negatives with the 800 for me where:

1.) The Engine produced too much heat while towing and driving slow. The plastic melted a little bit and the engine would overheat even with the radiator cleaned. As the radiator got filled with mud from normal use it would overheat more often.

2.) Fuel mileage was bad compared to the 500's I was hunting with. For a normal Alaskan hunting trip I could get 25 miles to the tank all 5-10 mph range.

3.) The engine almost has too much torque (did I actually say that?) it's either on or off while try to go slow. The machine is very jumpy, not a smooth acceleration like a 500.

4.) The machine is actually quite a bit louder than the 500s.

5.) Seat is too wide. After a few hours of riding my hip joints ache for the rest of the day.

6.) Hard to shift between gears. The 500 transmission didn't seam to have that problem.

I've sold my 800's and have been riding a 2006 6x6 for the last few months. Everything about it is better than the 800s except for the rear swing arms.

All polaris had to do was change the rear suspension to full IRS and they would have had a winner.

Better yet, Polaris should have skipped using last years chassis for the 6x6 and built it with the new XP platform with a 550. The XP chassis is by far a superior machine than the 2008 chassis

All of the problems I had with the 800 would have been solved with a 6x6 XP with a 550, but of course they didn't make one and probably won't for 10 years.

rmkak,

I have a 99 6x6 that has been modified. Have you had any problems with the shaft drive? Mine is chain drive. Would you rather have the indapendent rear or the straight axles? I put heavy duty 530 chain on it. Also had to put the red lock-tite on the concentrics. Lots of torque from the engine now.

Default Tracks

I wonder if a guy can still run tracks with the IRS? Anybody know the ground clearance? Couldn't find it on the Polaris web site.

Quote Originally Posted by akursus View Post
    rmkak,

I have a 99 6x6 that has been modified. Have you had any problems with the shaft drive? Mine is chain drive. Would you rather have the indapendent rear or the straight axles? I put heavy duty 530 chain on it. Also had to put the red lock-tite on the concentrics. Lots of torque from the engine now.
    The rear swing arms have a low ground clearance other than that, no issues.

Thumbs up

6x6's galore on Craigslist... I counted 11

I guess word is out about the new ones coming. Marita Sea and Ski said their first shipment ships on the 11th and will be here about a week after that. Roughly $10,000 is the price tag they are putting on it. They said it comes with the EBS system stock as well as some sort of "descent assist" that I hadn't heard of before.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I just got a phone call about a "rumor" floating around, seems Hatcher Pass Polaris is offering a special trade-in deal for 2006 & 2007 model 6x6 for the new 800 6x6. I called them today but they are closed, I'll try to get this "rumor" figured out. If it's true I may just have to send my 07' up there and say bye-bye, you've been upgraded!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I just got a phone call about a "rumor" floating around, seems Hatcher Pass Polaris is offering a special trade-in deal for 2006 & 2007 model 6x6 for the new 800 6x6. I called them today but they are closed, I'll try to get this "rumor" figured out. If it's true I may just have to send my 07' up there and say bye-bye, you've been upgraded!
    Never mind, rumor is squashed! You got to love great friends, yes I was dupped.

PAY BACK IS A BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Looks like a very interesting machine, but dude…………….. it weighs more than a half a ton! That seems a bit excessive to me? Did Arctic Cat help them design it or what? Are the swing arms made out of depleted uranium or carved from billets of pig iron?

I guess for an industrial machine that lives on a farm or gets driven from home to the riding area that is no major concern, but I personally have to tow or carry the thing along with my wife’s machine, and kids machines. So at 1000 lbs dry, its got 400 lbs over my KQ 700?! Or equivalent to the weight of a kids ATV. Perhaps to others this wont be a determining factor, but it does play into my planning.

Should make for an awesome hunting rig though. Provided of course that you have a winch!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Provided of course that you have a winch!
    Never, NEVER Leave home without one, lol..... I am getting ready to put a 3k on the front and put the 2500 in the back mounted underneath, 800lbs stuck is no fun alone and yes been there a few times already.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dog,
    Your pic's bring back memories! I put a 4k lb on the front of mine just for days like this. The 3k will work for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast