Thread: I was the training aid for coast guard

Default I was the training aid for coast guard

I was the training aid for coast guard on sunday out at seward . Man you dont want to be that.

I took a big wave over the back of the motor and the motor cut out. I was dinking around with it for about 15 minutes when the coast guard aux pulls up. They asked if I wanted a tow. Well I had just got out to fox and was ready to fish and not quite ready to give up. But I realized here was a tow right now. So I said yeah ill take the tow.

Well 5 minutes later I get the motor going while they are towing me. I have them cut me loose and they hang around for a few making sure my motor is going. They get some info then take off.

10 minutes later they are back, wanting more info, how much fuel I have. they take off then return again, this time wanting to know when Ill be back to shore. Anyway this comeback, ask a question stuff goes on for hours. then they roll up while im fighting a fish and want me to write down an 800 number so I can call the coastguard when I return to let them know I got back safe.

They come back again! this time, the coast guard wants me to check in with them every hour and report position and status.

Holy crap. I guess its better than no help but it was embarrasing having them drive up to me all day in the middle of the fishing fleet.

They were very nice guys and I am glad they were there though. I just think the coast guard was being a little overzealous.

Default Thats what happens when

they dont have a big case load. When they are slow like that they will be kind of annoying. Atleat they didn't get the cutter out there to bug you that would have been funny.

So how did the fishing GO?????
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

How big and what kind of boat were you in?

Matt,
    Is this the boat that you were in?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=35067

Does it still have this problem?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=35536

You could get in serious trouble in Lake Louise or Skilak very easily. Seward.... no wonder the CG was keeping an eye on you.

Be careful out there!!

Mike

There was 5 other boats out there like mine or smaller. I swithced props and the boat scoots right along. Yeah I could easily get in trouble, thats why I watch my weather constanly and make sure my gear runs reliably. And when I had trouble I accepted help immediatly rather than take my chances. Beleive me I dont have a death wish.

I still havent erased sold on the side of the boat wich you can see in the picture. The coast guard wanted my vessel name, well I dont have one so I just said it was "Sold"

Ha Ha. Coast guard station this is vessvel sold over. Vessel sold switch 22 alpha over. repeat every hour. My buddies got a big kick out of that.

I did get the boat out in the chop during the evening on sunday. Slugged right on through it.

Well I dont even really want to get into the rest of my trip. Buddies (well two guys from work) were late, didnt or couldnt do anything, birds nested my brand new line, didnt pay for anything other than parking and launch, One of them burried a 3/0 Gamakatsu in his thumb. And I mean sunk it halfway up the hook. That was horrific watching him push that all the way through to clip the end of it off. for the short bit that we got everything under control and trolling we caught 5. Two of them pretty dang big.

Thumbs up Hook Me ---------------------------------------->

[QUOTE=rimfirematt;316123]
    One of them burried a 3/0 Gamakatsu in his thumb. And I mean sunk it halfway up the hook.

Serves him right for not chippin in for gas, tell him he owes you for the hook....heh heh. Couldn't resist with the icon...

Thumbs up <---------hook Me!

Guess it'd be that way, whoops.

And man oh man is that coast guard boat sure nice. That thing looks awesome. I bet they dont have a hard time recruiting for that!

Default Darwin says

Maybe you should stick to big lake!

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    Maybe you should stick to big lake!

I dont really appreciate that comment. What even makes you want to say that? What did I do wrong? I was not in an unsafe craft for the distance or weather. I keep a watch on the weather channel every half hour and pay attention to my surroundings. I made the right choice of accepting a tow immediatly rather than put my freinds or me at risk even though that meant wasting 100.00 worth of gas money, time and lost fish.

I may not have much experience with this small of a boat but i dont lack experience. Im usually in freinds bigger boats or my zodiac. There hasnt been a year past in 20 that I have not been out at seward on a regular basis.

I sure wish I could afford a 26 foot boat with twin 115's but I cant. So I limit myeslf and make smart decisions with what I can afford and have just as good of a time.

And when I look around at the boats out there seems to be alot of folks in my shoes too and there doesnt seem to be alot of drownings or rescues out there.

Default No offense, just be wise...

Matt, think about how fast that thing would sink if the transom dipped down at the wrong time, it would disappear from beneath you in the amount of time it takes for a wave to pass by. Everyone should read more books about boating accidents, maybe there would be less of them. A story that might have been you, happened in Florida to a elderly father and his adult son. They were in a bigger boat than yours and took a wave slightly higher than the transom on a moderately choppy day, it disappeared beneath them. The son swam down after it to grab life vests as it headed down quickly. Matt, no offense intended here and I don't mean to lecture, but I think everyone on this forum wants everyone to be safe and if it means "being frank" about it thats just how it goes.

As a member of the Coast Gaurd Aux and working on my safe boat coxswain qualifications I can tell you that you probably had a new cowswain at the helm and the experianced cowswain was using your situation as a way for the newbie to get his feet wet in a non-emergency situation. Everyone onboard that safe boat must meet the same qualifications and abide by the same protocalls as active duty coast guard. So for a newbie in training and someone not fimilar with military way of thinking it's a lot to remember. Once the coast guard initiates contact like that with a civilian they take on a level of responsibility for that person/persons until they are back safe at port. Unfortunatly that is the consequences of a lawsuit happy society. I'm glad you were able to salvage your fishing day despite the harassment by the Safe Boat.

Sounds like Matt agrees that this is one of those situations where we would rather be overwhelmed by the CGs attention than underwhelmed!
    Thanks for all the CG & it's volunteers do.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."