Thread: What should I have done

Default What should I have done

So I pull up on the south shore of the Kasilof with my wife and kids Friday, while unloading my gear, I hear some commotion and see a guy pull out a nice King, I yell out you have to return it and he just chuckles and commences bonking it. He loads it into his cooler and sticks his net back in the water. Later I hear him bragging to some other guys about how he works on one of the boats anchored in the middle of the river. He was also complaining how he lost a real expensive Gerber in the sand.

What would you have done???

BTW, it was slow, but I was doing pretty good floating just outside of everyone's nets in my wetsuit, a couple of very small ones, and quite a few OK eight 18-24 inchers. Clamming Saturday morning at Clam Gulch was a totally different story , amazing... the only bad part was I spent at least 6 hours cleaning, now I can't make a fist or fully close my hands...

Really interested in what you guys would have done with the King poacher.

called the troopers and stood by the cooler....i can't stand people pullin' stuff like that or keeping snagged fish...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I was at the Copper in June and watched a guy pull out one... two... three good sized kings. After the third my wife kinda hinted that I should say something. I told him i thought the limit on Kings was one and he said that he had a his catch plus 2 proxy. It was a tough decision to call him on it cause we were the only two dipping at that spot and we had been getting along really well, helping each other out and everything. After I commented on it he said "oh, that was my last one." Who knows, he probably had proxy. Later another group of three came in together after they saw us cleaning our 30 and were a little sketchy. They also grabbed an extra king and I commented to them as well and shortly there after they packed up and took off. I guess as a responsible user, be it dippin', camping, hunting, hiking, atving, or whatever I feel that I have a duty to help folks understand the rules. I know that at some point I will run into that guy who doesn't agree but I feel I owe it to the resource.

My thought is to put it on them. Their time will come when a troop or Fish cop catches up to them. They break the law on the river, chances are they break the law somewhere else.

For what it's worth...

Well, if the limit is ZERO, it doesn't matter how many proxies you have. I'd call the troopers, too.

Default be careful

I would also suggest you call the troopers also but I would not approach the individual in this case. He obviously could care less about the law and as such you may have had violence on your hands.

However, most cell phones have a camera and a discrete picture of the guy, his car, or friends he was with can help troopers run him down. Today with so many cameras out there it is easy to have pictures and you can take them fairly easily.

For example, you can hold up a fish and have a family member take a picture of you but in reality have them take a picture of the guy, his friends, and any vehicles they have. Another trick is to fish next to them and strike up a conversation in a friendly way - that was a big sockeye you just got and laugh. Then introduce yourself with a made up name and ask him his. Most likely you will get his name, where he is from, what boat he is working on, and a bunch of other stuff.

Then leave and turn it all over to protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    I would also suggest you call the troopers also but I would not approach the individual in this case. He obviously could care less about the law and as such you may have had violence on your hands.

However, most cell phones have a camera and a discrete picture of the guy, his car, or friends he was with can help troopers run him down. Today with so many cameras out there it is easy to have pictures and you can take them fairly easily.

For example, you can hold up a fish and have a family member take a picture of you but in reality have them take a picture of the guy, his friends, and any vehicles they have. Another trick is to fish next to them and strike up a conversation in a friendly way - that was a big sockeye you just got and laugh. Then introduce yourself with a made up name and ask him his. Most likely you will get his name, where he is from, what boat he is working on, and a bunch of other stuff.

Then leave and turn it all over to protection.
    Nerka,

I agree with you completely. If someone is opening and even arrogantly willing to break these laws, I don't want to gamble on what other laws that they are going to break when it comes to my family's safety, or mine. As you said, approaching them is generally a complete waste of time because they know exactly what kind of fish they have, and exactly what they are doing. What you recommended is very wise - let the troopers deal with it.

Default Only 1 proxy at a time.

The following is pasted from the department's web site on proxy fishing:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/regulations/proxy.cfm

Both beneficiaries and proxies may have more than one validated Proxy Fishing Information Form, but the proxy may take only 1 extra bag limit per day. The proxy may not take the next day's bag limit without delivering the first day's bag limit to the beneficiary.
    You cannot take more than twice the bag limit, or possess more than twice the possession limit.

Starting in 2007, a person who is fishing proxy for a beneficiary must immediately record, in ink, on the Proxy Fishing Information Form, the date, location (body of water fished), species, approximate weight (in pounds), and number of any fish or shellfish taken by the proxy on behalf of the proxy recipient.

This recording requirement is IN ADDITION TO the information required to be recorded on the back of the fishing license or harvest record card, and IN ADDITION TO recording requirements on personal use and subsistence fishing permits. This form does not have to be returned to the Department; however, you must show this form upon request to any representative of ADF&G or any peace officer of the state. If extra space is needed, attach another sheet.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post

Both beneficiaries and proxies may have more than one validated Proxy Fishing Information Form, but the proxy may take only 1 extra bag limit per day. The proxy may not take the next day's bag limit without delivering the first day's bag limit to the beneficiary.
    You cannot take more than twice the bag limit, or possess more than twice the possession limit.

Starting in 2007, a person who is fishing proxy for a beneficiary must immediately record, in ink, on the Proxy Fishing Information Form, the date, location (body of water fished), species, approximate weight (in pounds), and number of any fish or shellfish taken by the proxy on behalf of the proxy recipient.

This recording requirement is IN ADDITION TO the information required to be recorded on the back of the fishing license or harvest record card, and IN ADDITION TO recording requirements on personal use and subsistence fishing permits. This form does not have to be returned to the Department; however, you must show this form upon request to any representative of ADF&G or any peace officer of the state. If extra space is needed, attach another sheet.

BUSTED!!!!!!!

Mark

Excellent suggestions, Nerka.

I would have just called the cops. (I just looked in my cell phone memorized numbers..........I've got the Troopers numbers in Big Lake, Cantwell, Glennallen, Healy, Talkeetna, Anchorage, and Palmer, but not in Soldotna...............I'll fix that.......)

Default kindly suggesting that something might be illegal, is the right responce.

Second to last weekend of dipnetting, right above the Kenai docks, three people dipnetting below the line, that stretches across the bay. As we were in a boat, we drifted by these shore fishers and told them if they got caught, those might be some expensive fish and explained that they were below the line for legal dipnetting. They all nodded their collective heads but keep dipnetting. That is until a trooper showed up 45 minutes later and wrote some tickets. Gave good information and they chose to ignore sound advice. I'm glad they got caught!! If I mess up I would want somebody other than enforcement to call me on the error of my ways and I would gladly comply. These idiots didn't care till the citations were being written. People like these in these posts give all the rest of us a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by aktally View Post

Can you proxy dipnet?

I hate to say it, but I ignored a violator myself about 2 weeks ago. I was at the Warren Ames bridge watching to see if any fish were being caught after the evening tide (there weren't) and these 2 guys run up to the bridge in their boat with a 225hp motor, plop out their dipnet and start drifting back down. They are a full mile upstream of the horsepower regulation marker, so you can't be up that far with anything over 50hp. I complained about it to the Mrs, who was with me, and since there were no fish being caught, we left. Should I have reported him? Probably, but I just didn't want to go through the hastle... no one was getting any fish and they were 1 of only 2 boats on that section of water at the time. Now, if fish were being caught, then I'd say they are breaking the rules and gaining from it.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Proxy Dipnetting

Yes you can proxy dipnet, you just have to have the right form from ADFG. Who ever is the proxy has to have the other persons permit, proxy form, and fishing license.