Thread: Insulated Bibs - I'm torn

Default Insulated Bibs - I'm torn

After using Carhartt's for years I'm ready for a decent pair of insulated bibs for my late fall and winter excursions. My ideal bibs would be warm in sub zero temps, quiet, and waterproof. A waterproof set of bibs is important to me because I spend a lot of time sitting in the snow. My biscuits melt the snow, the water soaks into my clothes and my cheeks are cold for the rest of the trip. It seems tough to find a waterproof pair of bibs. Some claim to be waterproof gore-tex but the gore-tex and dry plus gear I've used never holds the water outside of my clothes, but it looks like if I want anything close to waterproof Gore-Tex is the best bet.

My first choice is the Cabela's MT050 Gore-tex Whitetail Extreme insulated bibs in size large and tall. And finally I'm also considering the Sitka Gear Celsius Bibs.

I'd like to hear pros and cons of both from actual users.

Mt050's didn't keep out enough of the SE moisture to my liking. After a few hours of downpour they soaked through. I then went to the Rivers West-another failure and extremely heavy when wet.

I'm sure just about anything will be an upgrade from Carharts but if I'm going to invest some money into insulated bibs I want bibs I will be happy with. If it's raining I'll be happy with long jons, good pants, and impertechs. When I'm sitting in two feet of snow calling predators I want a set of bibs and will not soak water. So far it looks like I'll have to settle for the best "waterproof" solution. I never considered RW. I like the jacket for my intended use but the bibs would make me overheat.

Any other suggestions since my search continues.....

if your sitting in the snow, just get a pair of Klim bibs and be done with it...you can get them insulated and you won't get wet...a little pricey but all the Gortex is these days...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default watergremlin

get some impertech!!!!!----and yes they are available as bibs

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    if your sitting in the snow, just get a pair of Klim bibs and be done with it...you can get them insulated and you won't get wet...a little pricey but all the Gortex is these days...lol
    I was going to say the same thing but then I realized one of the requirements was for it to be quiet... I have some Arctiva sled gear and it works well for sitting but again it is noisy especially for walking. One thing I would dump if you get a cold fanny is cotton drawers! If your cotton skiveys get wet you ain't gonna feel your hind end for the rest of the day! If you are using the Carhart I would at least try to spray them down with DWR It may make a difference and it certainly can't hurt.

Default Mto-50

I've been using the Whitetail extreme bibs for the past 4 years and love them--under the right conditions. If you are looking for a set of bibs that will keep you completely dry in a heavy downpour that lasts for hours, the MTO-50 will disappoint you. However, for a light rain, I've never had a problem. Sitting in snow isn't a problem either. I use them for bowhunting whitetails and they are very quiet and warm. I've sat in a treestand for hours in 13 degree weather and was able to keep warm enough to draw the bow in the parka and bibs with no problem.

Another vote for Klim bibs. Mine are still going strong after 5 years.

If all you're doing is sitting in snow, why not carry some type of water proof pad to sit on? Growing up in Wisconsin as a kid hunting whitetails, we used to have commercial-made round insulating cushions that were waterproof to protect us from exactly what you are trying to avoid. They also kept our butts warm when sitting on the snow. They had a clip to hang them from your belt. I still see them for sale in Cabelas on a frequent basis.

More recently, I've cut a chunk out of a military sleeping bag pad about 12" x 12" and carry that with me when back pack hunting. I've even started folding it in half and just tucking it in my belt at my lower back for those trips when I'm just taking my gun on a walk. It's light weight and I throw it down when ever I stop to sit. It keeps my butt dry and insulates slightly from cold ground.

If you go the route of a pad, I would recommend either insulated fleece bibs or wool bibs. If you'r expecting a lot of rain, go with the wool.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    More recently, I've cut a chunk out of a military sleeping bag pad about 12" x 12" and carry that with me when back pack hunting.
    Oh to go back to the days when a 12"x12" piece of foam would be big enough to keep my ***** off the ground...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Oh to go back to the days when a 12"x12" piece of foam would be big enough to keep my ***** off the ground...
    lol...well at least you'll be able to keep one cheek warm...
    pull my finger....

If all you're doing is sitting in snow, why not carry some type of water proof pad to sit on?
    Good question. When I'm predator hunting my line of thinking is less is better. When I park the wheeler and set out on foot I carry my rifle, ecaller, and extra ammo. I travel as light as possible and do my best to stay away from gear clutter. Sometimes people carry so much gear they don't know what to do with it. Also after I setup my ecaller I want to plump my rump in the snow asap without figiting and making noise.

Klim bibs sound like they would almost fit the bill, but they are noisey eh? I don't need camo bibs I wear coverup winter camo anyways.

The Cabela's Rain/Snow Exchange Bibs look like a good set of bibs, but I've never had much luck with the dry plus gear keeping out water.

get some impertech!!!!!----and yes they are available as bibs
    I have a full set of impertechs, unfortunately it's not my idea of cold weather gear. Also I was not impressed with my impertech jacket last weekend. I thought the idea was to keep water on the outside of the jacket.

Default further impertech comment

the way i use impertech is as the outermost layer---it WILL keep you dry sitting in snow---your "warm " layers do their job under the impertech

Quote Originally Posted by ezmarsh View Post
    the way i use impertech is as the outermost layer---it WILL keep you dry sitting in snow---your "warm " layers do their job under the impertech
    they'll keep you dry if you don't move around too much...a little activity and you'll be clammy....with out a doubt, gortex will out perform the impertechs, especially in winter.....just make sure you don't purchase a cheap set of outerwear...the gortex won't leak, its the crappy worksmanship in some garmets that get you wet, ie seams/zippers...
    pull my finger....