Thread: Drying meat??

Default Drying meat??

Looking for ideas on how to hang my Caribou meat to dry once its been placed in bags.... anyone...anyone..

Thanks

Do you mean on a float trip? Open tundra? Around trees? If you are staying in one spot build a meat pole or two. Raft, use poles to keep your meat off the bottom so air can circulate around it and it will stay dry. If small or no trees are around I have heard of people building racks out of brush that keep the meat off the ground.

Default Brush pile

I have used a pile of brush and had good success. You need to turn it over thoughabout every day anyway. Anything to keep it up and the air circulating around it.Hanging is the best.

Ya, I was in a hurry when I posted this thread.. we are hunting the Haul Rd. in late august... just wondering if we should plan on bringing in supplies to hang our meat or if there will be anything available to us up there.

Also, do you guys use any type of spray on your meat .. citris or otherwise???

Default Citric

I have used citric acid some, like the regs say. It seemed to help some. We had weather on the bubble of warm/cool so it was hard to tell.