Thread: raft ramming on the upper kenai

Angry raft ramming on the upper kenai

So Ill make this short and to the point. Saturday about 300 yards down from the Bear Braids on the upper kenai. Im on the drift nosed into the cut bank about 4 feet off it so my buddy can pull out some fish hiding from the sun. ARA is the initals of this company and the name on the life jacket was gary. All of a sudden I look over my shoulder and this raft with and outboard (it was out of the water of course) and 4 people plus the guide are 10 feet from my butt heading towards me. I tell the guy hy I got nowhere to go as im riding the bank down. He laughs and says then hang on, Never even tried to move his raft. Next thing doink he slams my butt end of my boat, I made a comment or 2 his clients did not appreciate but i did not care. He just laughed and said what could i do. Luckly my buddy in the front sat down and did not get shot off. I have never in my 5 years in my boat even come close to that. Needless to say i called the company but i doubt anything will happen. Just rude and unsafe and I needed to vent. Thanks for letting me feel better

Oh and it was a sight seeing trip not a fishing trip they were on.

I also posted this in the rafting forum but thought it would get some reads in here too. Mods please adjust if need be
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

****, you guys on the Kanai have some crazy stories. Makes me glad I'm not stuck dealing with the crowds. Too bad you didn't have a sharp gaff to stick in the side of his raft.

Sorry to hear about that Chuck, glad no one went in the drink. I wish more people would give a little more space when drifting, it just take a little effort!

Default I agree with the sharp object.

Anyone who is willing tgo put someones life in dange like that has no right to be a guide or even on the water for that matter.

I hope you find out who he is and what hapen's to hm.
    If the people that were paying customers didn't complain then shame on them!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Angry Not Cool

Glad to here no one got bounced.

Keep your eye out, watch your back cast chuck.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Chuck
    Report the incident to the cops, so it's on record.
    Maybe they will have a chat with the company and this twit.
    If not we'll go lookin' when I get there next month.

I also was drifting the Kenai Saturday and had "words" with the same guy when he came up on me from behind telling me I had better get out of his way. I was in my drift boat so wasn't too worried about it, but still the sense of entitlement some of these guys have is absurd. The guy should be cited and fined. That is reckless endangerment if nothing else…

Default Bumping boat

I don't know anything about your encounter, So don't take my comments personal. But I suspect there more or less to the story. I really cant see were anybody tour operator would ever try to " Ram" any boat. What would the guy stand to gain? Nothing!

Sounds like your rafts were drifting, His boat had a much larger group, you raft was closer to the bank and probably in slower moving water and your boats bummed each other. Ramming might be to harsh a word being that both boats were drifting down stream at close to the same speed. I not saying it should not happen but everybody makes mistakes! The good thing is nothing was broke or lost and nobody was hurt. Sometimes things just happen and I am sure this guy did not try to bump your boat.( What would he have to gain?) We all get pissed when someone does something stupid like pulling out in front of someone. But we all have done it. I fished 25 years on the Kenai and I seen everything! I get pissed many times.( July is the worst ) But I can tell you nothing is gained by telling people off.

He could see me by more than 100 yards. I was in the natural drift of the river not back rowing, I saw him at the 100 yard mark but he was in the main channel then. The thing that gets me is that he never put his oars in the water to avoid me. He just kept chatting with his clients. No effort. If he had been rowing like heck or i was in a back eddy that he could not see me i would not have said a word. Bright blue bird day. Wide section of the river and no effort is what chaps my cheeks. Oh and the one thing gained by telling him off was that i felt better. It was more of 2 comments. Like I said there was no effort made to move. I hade 4 feet to shore and could not back row as he was coming in my path. Things happen I agree and i feel better talking about it. I did not say he did it on purpose I just think he was enjoying the sun and the converstaion and not paying attention to the action at the time.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Chuck
    Be glade you don't have to fish the lower river on the last week in July. It's totally unbelievable what you see! Three years ago an old man drove 10 feet behind my boat catching all 4 of my rods in his prop. Not only did I have to cut all my lines off. I had to tow him to the Pillars because he could not drive his boat with 4 jet planners and Quik fish in his prop.( and I wanted my gear back) Man I was pissed ! The old man ended up being really nice guy that was just watching someone down river with a fish on. He got distracted and messed up.

The crowds are going away and the Silver fishing is great! Good luck
    Robert

Default Zodiac

Well I took my 15ft zodiac down the upper river this year for the first time, they are no good in the river for me, not enough control. Had a drift boat moving in front of me, back and forth, I finally told him 'I have no control here". He finally at the last second moved. But I will never take a Zodiac down that river ever again! Not a boat to be on that river!
    Seeya in Valdez!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Robert johnson View Post
    I don't know anything about your encounter, So don't take my comments personal. But I suspect there more or less to the story. I really cant see were anybody tour operator would ever try to " Ram" any boat. What would the guy stand to gain? Nothing!

Sounds like your rafts were drifting, His boat had a much larger group, you raft was closer to the bank and probably in slower moving water and your boats bummed each other. Ramming might be to harsh a word being that both boats were drifting down stream at close to the same speed. I not saying it should not happen but everybody makes mistakes! The good thing is nothing was broke or lost and nobody was hurt. Sometimes things just happen and I am sure this guy did not try to bump your boat.( What would he have to gain?) We all get pissed when someone does something stupid like pulling out in front of someone. But we all have done it. I fished 25 years on the Kenai and I seen everything! I get pissed many times.( July is the worst ) But I can tell you nothing is gained by telling people off.
    You are right, NOTHING is gained by telling people off!! In this case a good old ass whippin would have been in order LOL. I will tell you this if this guy did it to me i would drive to his resort for a talk with him. I would make it clear that if he pulled that crap again i would kick his can

Default 2 words....

Bear Spray.

Default 2 More words...

sharp knife.

As in, "Shear off! I have a sharp knife and a clear concience!"

Default Adventures in Boating - or Rafting

Two friends have told me stories (Aniuk R. and Talkeetna/Clear Creek) of fishing guides' alleged aggressive/ belligerent/or obnoxious behavior, similar to alaskachuck's recent Kenai story. The number of incidents might be small, but there's potential for escalation in any one.

Negligent or reckless operation?
    - I don't know anything about applicable laws, but found this interesting page from Washington: http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/oper.htm. I'll paste most of it below, but does anyone know if Alaska has similar legal concepts of: negligent operation, reckless operation...assault by watercraft and such? If nothing else when incidents occur, it might be helpful to educate guides' employers or state agencies when incidents occur.

Communuity standards
    sometimes also seem to have a bearing. Most comments about this incident clearly don't approve of the guide's recklessness as described. It's the kind of thing that happens rarely, but might happen to one of us. This is a good opportunity to discuss/consider what we, as Alaska resident sportsmen (and women too) can do that works, online or off.

Hope you all have a great Fall season. Here's the info re: Washington boating laws; excerpted from: http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/oper.htm:

It's the Law: On the Water

In addition to the laws mentioned previously, here are other Washington regulations that apply when vessel operators are on the water.

Unlawful and Dangerous Operation
    Washington law states that these dangerous operating practices are illegal: Negligent Operation, Reckless Operation, Overloading or Overpowering a Vessel , Teak Surfing, Assault by Watercraft, and Homicide by Watercraft.

Negligent Operation

Negligent Operation is operating a vessel in a manner that causes danger to the life, limb, property, or rights of any person. This includes:

• Not paying attention to the operation of the vessel
    • Failing to keep a proper lookout
    • Failing to follow the navigation rules
    • Causing danger from the effects of the vessel's wake
    • Allowing passengers to ride on the bow, gunwales, or transom of a vessel not equipped with adequate railings to prevent falls overboard

Reckless Operation
    Reckless Operation is operating carelessly in a willful and wanton disregard of the rights, safety, or property of another person. It includes:

• Weaving in and out of other vessels, docks, or buoys
    • Playing “chicken” with another vessel
    • Operating in a marked “No Boats” area such as a swimming or dam spillway area

Assault by Watercraft
    Assault by watercraft is operating a vessel in a reckless manner or while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and injuring another person with serious disfigurement or the loss of a body part or organ.