Thread: Endurance Pot Puller

Default Endurance Pot Puller

Has anyone used the Endurance Pot Puller sold by Dewey’s? I hear they’re stronger then the Ace and wondering if they’re strong enough to pull 5 pots at once. We have been using a buoy pulling system for our shrimp pots and this has worked out great, but only use for 3 at once.
    Can’t see getting a pot puller if it will only pull one pot at time, this would mean having several shots of line and buoys stowed on board, and a 22ft C-Dory’s got a small cockpit.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default YES

I have been using the Endurance puller this year. I have been shrimping with it about 9 weekends with 2-3 pulls each weekend without problems.

I cover the tops of my pots with fabric and have added weight to keep them from drifting. This increases the resistance and overall wieght of the pull. I pull 2 pots on a single line and think it could do 3 but I don't want to push my luck.

I do not think it would pull 5 of my pots. It may pull 5 of the small plastic or wire mesh ones though. I use the round stackable traps that Donalson & Dewy's sell.

It is noisy. Sounds just like a old truck winch. Buy earplugs.

I am happy with it though. Would buy it again.

I bought one of them at West Marine when they had them and it made it through one day then quit. Pulled 3 pots fine when it did work. I even took the foot switch apart to see it that was the problem to no avail. I took it back and they said I was the second one out of six they sold so they had a 33% failure rate. Of course it broke after I had put out my five pots and had to pull by hand. replaced it with a safety puller

Default endurance

Friend burned up three of them, the third after upgrading the wire harness that comes with it. I burned up one. Back to Ace Line units till the wallet is thick enough for a safety puller/hauler. The story we received is that there was a much improved model to follow shortly if we wanted to keep swapping them out. The one I had used 10g from the motor to the selenoid but the wire run to the breaker was 12g, the sewing machine foot pedal is a joke in consideration of the marine environment and as previously stated, darn noisy and mine was made in china and reflected poor design/build. Interesting side note, when I first heard of them this winter I checked there web-site and they had a coming soon link for the puller info. I checked after the first two went down and Endurance no longer had a link/info posted on the puller. That may have changed recently as I moved on a month ago.

Enjoy.......

Called John’s sporting in Seattle the other day that sell the Endurance Pot Puller for $459.00, was told they won’t have them in for another 90 days or so. The person I talked to said they where going to upgrade the product with a ball baring motor and other improvements. Said the Endurance should be quieter and more refined when they get them back.
    For now I’ll just stick with the buoy pulling method, it has been good for use using 3 pots on a string. Last time out we were getting about half a 5 gal bucket per pull, so it’s hard to justify the expense of a pot puller.
    This is what we use: http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products/anchoring_mooring/anchorlift.htm

Never pull faster than 5mph than back down the line while the first mate (wife) coils the line. Un-tie the line at the first pot, remove the buoy and hand pull the pots over the side. Next time out we’re are going attach a 5 gal bucket to the buoy to increase drag, this should allow for quicker retrieval at a slower speed; I may try adding an additional pot.
    We try to set uphill then pull downhill and into deeper water, have never had a problem. I don’t think the shrimp wash out like some say, we got a lot of small spot last time-dang octopus munched all the granddads as my son calls them.

If I do go with a pot puller I’m thinking of trying a capstan type like this:
    Powerwinch Quick Catch Pot Puller

http://www.hodgesmarine.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=POWP77769&click=18

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default pot puller

Breausaw,

I have the quickcatch and buddy has the ace, I can tell you for fact the quickcatch is a stronger puller. Mine doubles as an anchor puller as well which is why I bought it. It's certainly not as convenient as the ace, but for double duty and same price I went that way and am glad I did. Only change I would make to it would be to wire in a rocker switch of some kind, simple on/off, the button style it comes with can sometimes be a pain. It is noisier than the ace, but not enough to bother me at all. luck

I was interested to see what everyone had to say about these endurance pullers since I have another friend looking around at them, thanks all for the info, nother product to stay away from is what I got!

Cody

Default Ace Line Hauler

I have the ace hauler and it is about the same speed as me. It started making noise and being that Dewey started handling that chinese puller I had to contact Ace by e-mail. I explained about the noise and was wanting to buy a rebuild kit. They said all they needed was an address. They didn't send a rebuild kit. They sent a brand new motor and gear box assembly. The whole unit. And there was no charge for the unit or frieght. Mine was 6 years old. Service means a lot, and I couldn't be more happy with Ace service. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Breausaw,

I have the quickcatch and buddy has the ace, I can tell you for fact the quickcatch is a stronger puller. Mine doubles as an anchor puller as well which is why I bought it. It's certainly not as convenient as the ace, but for double duty and same price I went that way and am glad I did. Only change I would make to it would be to wire in a rocker switch of some kind, simple on/off, the button style it comes with can sometimes be a pain. It is noisier than the ace, but not enough to bother me at all. luck

I was interested to see what everyone had to say about these endurance pullers since I have another friend looking around at them, thanks all for the info, nother product to stay away from is what I got!

Cody
    How many pots do you pull at onec? Can the Quick Catch pull 5 pots?
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I haven't tried 5, have done 4 once and it did ok. I think it'd do five, albeit slower and with some complainin.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    I have the ace hauler and it is about the same speed as me. It started making noise and being that Dewey started handling that chinese puller I had to contact Ace by e-mail. I explained about the noise and was wanting to buy a rebuild kit. They said all they needed was an address. They didn't send a rebuild kit. They sent a brand new motor and gear box assembly. The whole unit. And there was no charge for the unit or frieght. Mine was 6 years old. Service means a lot, and I couldn't be more happy with Ace service. Just my 2 cents.

hmmm, I've had an Ace also for about the same amount of time and last time we used it the motor was making a wierd clicking noise. It got progressivly worse as the weekend went on, so I might have to give them a call and see if they will do that for me.