Thread: Fuel to new kicker

Question Fuel to new kicker

I put a new Mercury 9.9 BF on a "98" 26LC Osprey tied in to a Merc. fuel water seperator spin on filter, after about 1/2 hr. engine dies with no fuel in primer bulb and not able to hand pump fuel to kicker ( new primer bulb) if I start the main (5.7 volvo) it fills the filter and kicker will run 10-15 minutes it is about a 8 foot run to the filter probably another 3 or 4 to tank anybody got any Ideas ?

Does the boat have an in tank pump? If so perhaps the kicker can't pull the fuel through it.

you could try a larger diameter hose or what I have done with two prior boats; add an inline fuel pump. You could just sell me your Osprey......

Quote Originally Posted by Leiter Hockett View Post
    I put a new Mercury 9.9 BF on a "98" 26LC Osprey tied in to a Merc. fuel water seperator spin on filter, after about 1/2 hr. engine dies with no fuel in primer bulb and not able to hand pump fuel to kicker ( new primer bulb) if I start the main (5.7 volvo) it fills the filter and kicker will run 10-15 minutes it is about a 8 foot run to the filter probably another 3 or 4 to tank anybody got any Ideas ?

Does the priming bulb/pump have a directional arrow??? A friend had roughly the same problem and when he looked the flow was backwards.

Thanks for the ? but Yes the Priming bulb/pump is installed proper.

Can you run the motor off of a seperate 'portable' tank?

I have the same setup on my Osprey. The same thing happened to me. I installed a three way valve. I think what is happening is that it is sucking the fuel from your carb lines and then sucking air.(Least resistance) With the three way valve, it will close off the line to the inboard and then will draw fuel from your tank. I got it at NAPA and just plumbed it in before my water/fuel filter. Hope this helps. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Fisher View Post
    I have the same setup on my Osprey. The same thing happened to me. I installed a three way valve. I think what is happening is that it is sucking the fuel from your carb lines and then sucking air.(Least resistance) With the three way valve, it will close off the line to the inboard and then will draw fuel from your tank. I got it at NAPA and just plumbed it in before my water/fuel filter. Hope this helps. Let me know.
    I think we may have a winner... At least it sounds good

With the three way valve do you have to open the engine compartment and change the valve every time you use the kicker? I replaced my fuel water separator with one that has two outputs and have not had any problems. You might check your connections at the separator as any air leaks cause the kicker to draw from the filter only and not the tank . the kicker has a much smaller fuel pump then the main engine so it probably would not affect the main engine fuel pickup only the kicker

Try it with it,s own tank it came with first, see if it run alright. I had the same problem with mine,Same motor 9.9 mec big foot, I spent a lot of money on those little ck, valves and such never could get it to work ,It runs fine from it,s own tank. It came with the boat i bought, It is the hardest starting outboard i ever owned, In the end i got rid of netral saftey switch, so i could start it in gear, Must not found the nack yet two primer pumps, choke pull about ten times, Than have to let it warm up before even think about shifting it, it would die,gald i haven,t had to use it in a hurry on the river, Would crash into something before, get this all moving.

Yes, I do have to open the engine cowling every time. It is somewhat of a PITA. But it is what I had to do to correct the problem. Maybe somebody has a better solution than me. Chime in!!

You could install a solenoid in the fuel line to the main. Then you could cut off the fuel to it remotely.

Sound Fisher, They have these connections with the ck, valves built into them. So either motor you fire up it wound,nt suck the other dry, They are spendy, But you could get rid of the having to switch over each time on your three way, They will screw, Right into the Racore, Outgoing side, one for each motor.

Default OB Fuel Supply

I had a '96 Osprey 26LC and had no problem with my outboard fuel supply off the main tank. I had a Racor primary filter upstream of the fuel pumps and teed off the outlet of the Racor to the pumps. No problems.

I had that problem with my kicker last week. I took the hose off the clamp/connection to the kicker and squeezed the bulb until fuel came out the hose then reconnected it and it worked.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.