Thread: outfitter camo rain-gear ?

Default outfitter camo rain-gear ?

just ordered cabelas gortex packable rain gear in outfitter camo, anyone ever use this?

Well, I have never used it but if it isn't better than the military gore-tex that the government gives us then you will probably regret buying it.

Once you get it, put it on and go outside and have your wife or someone unleash on you with a water hose for several minutes. That will tell the tale of how well it will keep you dry. Then take it off and hang it like you would in the field and time how long it takes to dry. Once you get that info post it. I would definitely be interested to see how this turns out because I am on the market for good rain gear.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Default cancel ----quickly

if what you ordered is cabelas MT050,cancel right now---buy some IMPERTECH---i have tried them all--the cabelas you mention---rivers west---etc,etc---the only thing to keep you dry in alaska is hell hansen impertech---packs about the size of a hardcover book and will keep you dry!!!

I agree. Gore-tex is fine for short jaunts into the woods but once it's wet (and it will get wet) then you're licked. I too have tried RW (and hated it) and MTO50. The MTO is okay but I would never trust it on a wilderness hunt. Impertech is the way to go. You will sweat some in it, but if you pace yourself you can sort of regulate that. Anytime I get raingear I put it on and jump in the shower. If it leaks I send it back. My RW stuff leaked within minutes (seams and zippers). THe MTO did not but remember anywhere you have pressure (like under your pack straps) it will eventually bleed. Stick with the HH. Good luck.

Default I have found through

many hard lessons that gore tex rain gear is crap. Once wet inside (by sweating), it takes forever to dry out if wet out. I think the impertech is the way to go. I bought a big poncho type rain gear (not sure what it is called) from Marc Taylor at Wiggy's that I take with me now. I really don't care about having rain pants when out, so this thing is awesome! Can be used to keep the wind off also if you are up in the rocks waiting out a sheep!

i haven't had good luck with the impertech. i like it a lot right up until it starts leaking. i have taken it back twice and they warrantied it both times. the second time i got a refund. now i'm on a mission to find a replacement that isn't heavy like my grundens that i use on the boat. you could hold the impertech up to the light and see a bunch of tiny holes across the upper back and shoulders. some in the areas where your pack rides and some between the strap area. i also heard that they changed the green stuff to a new material that wont fail so quick but i haven't tried it yet. that is what they told be at bj comercial. i have the mto 50 now and the jury is still out on these still. any other suggestions would be great. i know cabelas will return these if there is a problem which is nice.

Default gor-tex

i think i tried everything back to the yellow raincoat with AAA on the back. the military gor-tex i have works but i sweat inside. the mto50 stuff has mesh on the inside. thinking it will wick the moisture from inside. mto is very quiet. i didn't give it a test yet, but think it's worth a try.

Default Kool Dri maybe next?

Quote Originally Posted by kobuk View Post
    i haven't had good luck with the impertech. i like it a lot right up until it starts leaking. i have taken it back twice and they warrantied it both times. the second time i got a refund. now i'm on a mission to find a replacement that isn't heavy like my grundens that i use on the boat. you could hold the impertech up to the light and see a bunch of tiny holes across the upper back and shoulders. some in the areas where your pack rides and some between the strap area. i also heard that they changed the green stuff to a new material that wont fail so quick but i haven't tried it yet. that is what they told be at bj comercial. i have the mto 50 now and the jury is still out on these still. any other suggestions would be great. i know cabelas will return these if there is a problem which is nice.
    I've had some of the probs mentioned above with GoreTex, esp with longer, faster hikes (wet inside). I have Impertech for this Fall and hope they'll work as well for me as they have for others. Barney's did have some Kool Dri gear that looked sturdy and was lightweight too. Of course it costs more. Barney's seems to have good rugged gear though and I might be inclined to try some of his stuff if my GoreTex or Impertech wasn't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner378 View Post
    just ordered cabelas gortex packable rain gear in outfitter camo, anyone ever use this?
    I've had great luck with Cabela's GORE-TEX Packable. I have tried them all and nothing works better and nothing is more breathable. I also know for a fact that you cannot get water through GT at normal pressures. However, what most people experience with any soft quiet face fabric (MT050) that is used in hunting rainwear is that the DWR (Durable Water Repellency) will temporarily break down with abrasion and dirt, blood, oils etc. This can be restored with a simple washing and run through the drier at it's hottest setting. The other myth that is out there about GT is that when you see the moisture on the inside of the jacket (unlined version) that the jacket is leaking. What is actually happening is that the moisture vapor leaving your body is condensed at the membrane. This condensed moisture diffuses through the membrane and exits the garment very quickly. If you stop walking/hiking for a moment and slow your effort down, you'll notice the condensed moisture go away. The condensing generally occurs when you're overloading the garment with more moisture than it can dissipate in a given time.

So, the question is, if you need a super quiet fabric then you're going to have to put up with a little wet-out of the soft face fabric. However, if noise of the garment is not an issue for you, then buy a GT coat with a nylon or polyester woven fabric. These fabrics hold DWR better than brushed knits and when the DWR does breakdown, the fabric does not hold as much water.
    Good GT coats with woven Nylon faces are generally waterfowl coats as noise is rarely an issue for duck and goose hunters. Cabela's, Team Realtree, Beretta and maybe Browning make this style of coat.

Go ahead with your Cabela's coat purchase. Feel free to shower down in the yard, stand in your shower, etc. As long as water isn't entering at your neck or down your sleeves, you'll be dry. I do recommend washing your new coat and drying it the moment you receive it. The fabric has been run across many sewing tables and handled by many people prior to you getting it. A good washing will make the DWR work as well as it was intentioned. I would also recommend washing and drying your coat often as the coat candle handle this and it will keep you garment working well for many years. When the DWR stops coming back after wash/dry cycles, buy some Revivex or Nickwax and restore it.

I do recommend washing your new coat and drying it the moment you receive it. The fabric has been run across many sewing tables and handled by many people prior to you getting it. A good washing will make the DWR work as well as it was intentioned. I would also recommend washing and drying your coat often as the coat candle handle this and it will keep you garment working well for many years.
    And use something like Sport Wash to wash it instead of laundry detergent.
    Now what ?

Default Sportsmans packable

Has anyone used the Sportmans brand packable raingear?

2 years w/ mt050-not one leak, not one hole. I haven't got 4 wheeler wet-butt with it either. It has held up to southeast AK bush very well. MT050 gets an A+ w/ me.Stay away from Impertech if you are planning on even thinking of getting off of a trail-My set lasted about a month. Stick with Goretex. It's the only thing that will hold up for long periods of constant wetness.
    Last edited by remotealaska; 08-20-2008 at 22:49. Reason: Added more information