Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez Silvers

Default Valdez Silvers

Heading to Valdez 9 - 11 Aug. Anybody been there or have any updates on how the run is? First time going there, looking forward to it. Any tidbits of info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Default silvers

Just got back Saturday, fished Wed-Fri. Was a few boats fishing the mouth of Jacks Bay but they (silvers) are not in great numbers yet from what I saw. We were but' fishin, between 35-55 miles out and normally take breaks every now and then and try to pick up some silvers but there really wasn't much to catch. They were jumping occasionally but not goin wild yet. First day a school must of passed us we hooked up like 6 in 20 minutes but that was it for our 3 days. Talked to an old guy in the campground who had one or two fish, said it was slow as hell, he said another older couple put in a loooong day and picked up a limit of 12. Didn't say where they were but I imagine just outside the narrows at Jacks.

Should only get better with time, if you have a boat I'd say go for it, Valdez is awesome... if you're planning on allison point from shore, I'd say wait til the following weekend. My .02. Valdez is absolutely my favorite spot on this planet though, I'd be willing to go anytime, fish or not haha. I'll be back down there on the 12th, my 4th trip since the july 4th weekend! Good luck.

P.S.
    Maybe send daveinthebush a message and he can update you on wednesday or thursday, he lives down there.

Cody

Default the best

Valdez is great, going tues. night till? If you don't have a boat, rent one at Fish Central, those guys are great!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Just got back Saturday, fished Wed-Fri. Was a few boats fishing the mouth of Jacks Bay but they (silvers) are not in great numbers yet from what I saw. We were but' fishin, between 35-55 miles out and normally take breaks every now and then and try to pick up some silvers but there really wasn't much to catch. They were jumping occasionally but not goin wild yet. First day a school must of passed us we hooked up like 6 in 20 minutes but that was it for our 3 days. Talked to an old guy in the campground who had one or two fish, said it was slow as hell, he said another older couple put in a loooong day and picked up a limit of 12. Didn't say where they were but I imagine just outside the narrows at Jacks.

Should only get better with time, if you have a boat I'd say go for it, Valdez is awesome... if you're planning on allison point from shore, I'd say wait til the following weekend. My .02. Valdez is absolutely my favorite spot on this planet though, I'd be willing to go anytime, fish or not haha. I'll be back down there on the 12th, my 4th trip since the july 4th weekend! Good luck.

P.S.
    Maybe send daveinthebush a message and he can update you on wednesday or thursday, he lives down there.

Cody
    Good To Know. Thanks for the fishing report.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Taking boat

Although it is a river sled, 22' SeaArk. I've been told my many my boat is fine as long as I stay in the harbor. Good idea on Dave. I will send him a PM. Are there any other fish we could go for in the harbor (Butt, Ling, Yellow Eye etc)? We're praying the weather is nice (don't know why) lol. Just wanted to experience someplace new. If the silvers aren't in it would be nice to try for something else and stay safe in my boat. It is very stable but I have no desire to push it's limits. Always safe! Thanks again.

Default port valdez/narrows/arm

Is your SeaArk a flat bottom or does it have some kind of vee? Either way, you should be fine taking it to Jacks Bay, seen a lot smaller ones out there! Far as fishing in the port for other species I would say chances are slim to none, however there are buts' caught in Jack Bay every year, I even heard of one over a hundred pounds just 3 weeks ago. There also ought to be rockfish, maybe black bass in Jacks and certainly rockies in Galena bay and probably some chickens to be had, but I always fish further out so I can't help you too much for locations. If you've ever fished rockies you'll have no problem finding them in galena bay...got to go for now, getting off work...heh heh. Shoot me a message if you have any questions, hope you have a good time. You can make jacks and just fish for silvers too, should be no problem, watch the evening s-sw wind...have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Although it is a river sled, 22' SeaArk. I've been told my many my boat is fine as long as I stay in the harbor. Good idea on Dave. I will send him a PM. Are there any other fish we could go for in the harbor (Butt, Ling, Yellow Eye etc)? We're praying the weather is nice (don't know why) lol. Just wanted to experience someplace new. If the silvers aren't in it would be nice to try for something else and stay safe in my boat. It is very stable but I have no desire to push it's limits. Always safe! Thanks again.
    I just got back yesterday from Valdez with my Sport Jon. The NOAA forecast called for 2 ft seas and my river sled had no trouble whatsoever. Took it out to Shoup Bay. Slow fishing, but still beats a good day at work.

Just gotta watch out for the thick morning fog.

Have fun!

I run my Extreme Shallow out to Jacks bay alot sometimes out to Galena. I usually fish the mornings and start heading back in around noon or 1:00 before the winds pick up. I'll fish shoup to the harbor in the afternoons.

2ft seas or more suck as its slow going, cavitation with the jet is a pain (unless your trolling in). Watch for the monster waves from the tankers.

Quote Originally Posted by scadden View Post
    I just got back yesterday from Valdez with my Sport Jon. The NOAA forecast called for 2 ft seas and my river sled had no trouble whatsoever. Took it out to Shoup Bay. Slow fishing, but still beats a good day at work.

Just gotta watch out for the thick morning fog.

Have fun!
    The morning fog can get ya....especially once you get out in it. Without a compass or GPS you'll go in circles or end up where you don't want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    The morning fog can get ya....especially once you get out in it. Without a compass or GPS you'll go in circles or end up where you don't want to be.
    radar is nice too, especially when the other boats without it can't see you.

Default Thanks All!

About what time does the fog lift? I think the weather is suppose to break and be nice this weekend (hope, please, pretty please). I was told that if I stay along the shore line out to as far as shoup I should be ok, does that sound right? We are all looking forward to this weekend! I just hope the fish come in a little better by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    About what time does the fog lift? I think the weather is suppose to break and be nice this weekend (hope, please, pretty please). I was told that if I stay along the shore line out to as far as shoup I should be ok, does that sound right? We are all looking forward to this weekend! I just hope the fish come in a little better by then.
    If its foggy I would at least have a compass or stay put. Even if you are expecting to stay close to shore, if you lose sight of shore that could be a bummer. Also make sure you lights work.

littles-yep know what ya mean. I go very slow when I can't see and if I had different boat I surely would have a radar.

Default Safe to paddle the water in Valdez?

I'm thinking of taking my inflatable kayak down to Valdez and seeing if there's any way to launch it near Allison Point to get out a little ways in the water around Allison Point to fish for silvers. It seems like when all the dying pinks are milling around fishing is awful from the bank.

Does anyone know if this is a bad idea, or if there's any restrictions that might prevent me from doing it? Is that area known for bad currents or anything? It seems kind of sheltered and calm when the wind isn't blowing.

I have a 14 foot Aire Super Lynx, which is made for open water instead of Class III rivers, if that helps.

(Sorry to jump in on this thread this way. I figured it was sort of keeping with the Valdez theme, but I apologize for any breach of forum etiquette.)

Thanks for any info on this.

Default Kayak

I would think you'd be fine, familiarize yourself with the terminal exclusion area, from everything I've heard they WILL jack you up if you get in to it.

Default Postponed

Pulled the plug on this weekend. Called down there tonight and spoke to the place we were going to camp. They said the fish were not in and that she just spoke to a charter guy about an hour earlier. He said the fishing is very slow. The silvers are still way out and very deep. There are some in the harbor but not anything to get excited about. Will try to go down next weekend. Maybe things will improve during the week. Anyone who is down there this week, please post and update when you get back. Thanks again for all of your help, I/we truly appreciate it!!

If nothing else I'll be going down Tue or Wed and I can let you know what I see when I get back Sunday. Seems they're just a bit behind schedule like most fish this year.

Thumbs up They are there

Just got back. Spent the morning of the 6th between Mineral and Gold creek in 24 feet of water and pulled in 5 silvers for 3 rods. 15# 12# and 3 about 8#. Using plug cut herring and either deep six or 6 oz lead.

Hit Allison point on the 7th and split bewteen 1 silver and 4 Humpies with nice shine.

Not thick yet but it was nice seeing the wife and son having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Tenderfoot View Post
    Spent the morning of the 6th between Mineral and Gold creek in 24 feet of water and pulled in 5 silvers for 3 rods.
    Thanks for the update. Heading down on the 13th for four days and I was hoping they would show up.

Arrow Silver Fishing this week at Alison Point

Going for Silvers down at Allison Point sometime this week (13 or 14th)- what's the outlook for the Silver run coming in by then?

Quote Originally Posted by ElcidJJ View Post
    Going for Silvers down at Allison Point sometime this week (13 or 14th)- what's the outlook for the Silver run coming in by then?

I was down there today to chat with visitors and for a look-see, and I saw diddly. A good number of people fishing, a few with a stringer of pinks which still looked about lower middle grade surprisingly, but for most people it was unproductive casting. I went up and down the beach to look for silver carcasses and didn't see a thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast