Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunters

Smile Sheep Hunters

Just wanted to wish you all a successful hunt. I'm heading out Wednesday to stake my claim. Based upon last Friday's scout trip, my ram is still there waiting for me. He's been a great ole ram; so patient, hanging around watching me watch him, heck, he even dropped elevation to make the scouting trip that much easier .

Nothing better than sheep on the barby; or MSR stove fried w/onions, garlic & butter!

The only thing I'm hoping for is better weather... I've got two swollen creeks to cross and 9+ miles to push into the high country.

I have tripple checked all my gear and provisions. Ready I am, able and willing. As you all are driven to persue, I wish you the best in 2008. When you're done, hurry home and post your pics! We all are waiting to see the success stories!
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

We fly in to the field on Friday weather permitting. A few changes to my gear have really lightened the pack. Rifle is shooting well. Fitness is good. Now we just need the sheep to cooperate.

Default :(

We are still not sure if we are going, but we have a concert Thursday evening and we were planning on heading straight out after the concert. I think regardless of what the weather has held for this past week, we will go and we will see how badly our drainage area is damaged from the flood and make a determination if we can even do a crossing... but yet... even after the crossing, we have a 7 mile climb into where we do sheep hunting, so we will see what happens.
    We are praying for sun.
    We are hoping for things to start drying out.
    I am hoping we can walk out with our sheep attached to our backs by this time next week and back down the mountainside.

Then again... who knows.
    We might have to wait until the beginning of September.
    Lurker.

We're flying in Saturday morning for 7 days, have no idea if rams are even in there but who cares, a week in the mountains beats a week at work. Good luck to everyone this year.

Default Sheep Mania

Good luck John, hopefully you and the wife do some good in there it would be nice for her to get a ram. Was out in PWS this week/weekend so I couldn't make Garcia's.

That said, since I switched to light beer, I definately think i'll be able to make it to my spot. I didn't get any hits for people wanting to take someone fat and lazy into a sheep spot but oh well I think I can make it the mile and a half to the place I have picked out. Oh well, I will post photos upon my return!

Good luck all - Gooch

Me and the wife are headed out friday kinda in the same boat just depends what its like when we get there hopefully we are able to get back where im wanting to go. So good luck to everyone!

Leave Friday only thing up in the air is whether I'm hunting with a bow or rifle this year.....I'll know Wednesday. PS If the angle of death himself met me at the base of the mountain to bar my path I'd kick his ass and hike on! First alpine hunt in 5 years and I am not missing opening day!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick - You don't have to have your IBEP cert to hunt with a bow in a general hunting area - just in bow-only areas or hunts. I'm sure you'll pass, but you'll be legal to sheep hunt with your bow either way.

Default Good Luck

I can't wait for the middle of September. I wish I could head out on the 10th, hopefully the snow won't be too bad. Be safe.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Here's to a safe and successful sheep hunt! Much to my chagrin, I have to sit this season out. Due to other obligations my next sheep hunt will not be until 2010. Don't want to wish my life away but I can't wait. Hope everyone has a great season and also appreciates how lucky he/she is to be able to get up in those lofty peaks and spend time with such a grand animal. Can't wait to see some pics.

Default Good Luck

And hopefully the weather cooperates for everyone. I'm heading out on fri to hopefully bag my first ram with a good friend. Take care and be safe!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Planning on heading out Friday morning for a week or so...unfortunately, I may have an interview Thursday afternoon and if I am offered the job I won't be able to sheep hunt until september. I suppose its a win-win...get the job, make more money and sheep hunt in september...don't get the job and leave within the hour for a week in the mountains...good luck everyone...hope you are all successful- unless you're hunting where I am!!!

Default Hopefully

you all leave some rams for us who are going out later. Our draw starts on the 26th of Aug. which gives me a little more time for training plus maybe a chance for the flooding to recede. Good luck to you all and if you think about it, maybe you could tie one to a tree before leaving.

Default Headin out

We are heading out on Thursday. Should be fun. First sheep hunt for both my dad and I. So we have 10 days to find something. Hopefully don't find too many other hunters and the snow isn't too deep. Good luck to everyone else and if we don't get one I hope to see good pictures from those who did.
    Thanks
    Carl

Been chomping at the bit since I drew my DCUA tag.. is it saturday yet ?!!

Dang you all!

I've got place picked out for the next sheep hunt, but with winter staring me in the face and no roof on my new house yet, I must stay home and slave away. Next year, I'm there...

Yk

Default A Sheep Hunters Poem

Well, we are headed to the sheep mountains on Friday. I wish you all the best on your hunts. This sheep hunting has way of getting in to your blood like nothing else. I just wrote a little poem for us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    An Alaskan Sheep Hunters Poem
    By Snyd

With the sun at my back and the breeze on my face
    I hope to find that magical place
    Where the Dall Sheep live in the their majestic home
    Alaska, the Last Frontier

From the Wrangells to the Brooks and the Alaska Range
    From the Chugach Mountains to the Talkeetnas and Whites
    From the Tanana Foothills and Mentastas too,
    To the Kenai Mountains to name a few
    These are the places the Rams call home
    In Alaska, the Last Frontier

In search of great Rams, my partner and I
    Together we go with hopes as high
    As the mountains we hike

Tis the hunt of a lifetime if one can go
    It's not like hunting the Whitetail you know!
    There is nothing quite like the stress and the strain
    Sheep hunting puts on the body and brain

But the rewards are great for the ones who make
    The arduous treks for that's what it takes
    For a chance to see the Mountain Sheep Ovis
    Ovis Dalli

If one can get
    The chance at a shot
    He surly has earned it
    But then if not
    He still has the joy deep down in his soul
    Of knowing he stood
    Where many can't go

To that place of a dream for many a hunter
    To the tops of the Mountains
    Ovis calls home

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Don't think I will be able to get out this year. The boss can only give me so much time. With a wedding near the end of this month and moose season, it looks like I am gonna miss out. I went out the Wood last year with no luck but I agree, once it gets in your blood a sheep hunt is a hard thing to miss. Good luck everyone!

Still two months to go until I hit the sheep mountains.

Not going out sheep hunting this opening day. I've got a Kiley river caribou to harvest. It will be my first trip with the horse's. If it works out next sheep season I might be in area's I never would have thought to chase sheep.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast