Thread: Kids Electric Wheelers?

Default Kids Electric Wheelers?

Well the girl turns 2 on the 20th. Want to get her one of those 12 volt electric fourwheelers (figure for a two year old that would be appropriate) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? Are they worth the money? Apparently Yamaha makes a decent one. I figure its gotta go at least 5-8 mph or the kids would get bored...

Let me know, thanks

i got one of the Razor 4 wheelers...rubber tires/24 volt

runs really well on dirt/rocks, the plastic tires just spin out...has plenty of power...too much in fact for my 3yo...I have to run with him with a rope tied to the wheeler...it goes about as fast as a quick jog....it was a little tippy on pavement so I put dual wheels on it and now it cant be flipped.......If I hold him in place the tires will dig ruts in my driveway......for some reason my little one thinks that is pretty cool...lol

I got mine at ToysRUs but I think Wally World carries them now as well....

Plan to do some jogging with your little one, you'll want to keep it roped up with you for a bit...mine is almost to the point that I'll let him ride without the leash....

let me know if you'd nee a pic...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

tjm, thanks for the reply. How much run time do you get off of one charge? Yeah, a picture of your double-tire setup would be great. So this thing actually has rubber tires? How much are they selling for? Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    tjm, thanks for the reply. How much run time do you get off of one charge? Yeah, a picture of your double-tire setup would be great. So this thing actually has rubber tires? How much are they selling for? Thanks again...
    about one hour per charge...it is longer than you want to run behind the darn thing is all I know for sure...lol...I just picked up a new set of batteries that have a little more capacity from batteries plus as I ruined the stock ones by not keeping them charged...

I think they area about $350 now...not too sure, I paid $140 for mine, it was a display model and didn't come with any warranty....they had 2 floor models out and the nice guy offered to sell me one of them cheap....

the little guy in the pics just turned 2 a few days ago (for size ref...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pull my finger....

Talking

an electric wheeler with duallys for kids...i thought id seen it all...

Just turning two might be a little young to ride one of those--I think you'll find that three-to-four is more like it. The kid is going to need three things:
    1) legs long enough to reach the pedal,
    2) arms strong enough to steer, and
    3) the maturity to coordinate the previous two so that they are somewhat in control.

For the younger kids, we used to have a battery-operated riding Thomas train, which ran on tracks. It was built for smaller kids, and they could reach the accelerator pedal.

We picked up a Fisher Price riding ATV at a garage sale this summer, and my four year old loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Just turning two might be a little young to ride one of those--
    you're absolutely right, but they don't stay that small for long...I pondered getting one of the tiny 6 volt wheelers, then I looked at the 12 volt, then I saw this 24volt with rubber tires....I figured I'd get one that the little turkeys could use for a few years and still have fun on....

the little guy pictured won't be riding until next summer, but my other son started when he was 2.5 years old....I kept the charge in the batteries low, kept a leash on the wheeler, and a brain bucket him....even at 2 and a half, it only took him half a day to master the brakes, turning, and throttle control....

he'll be 4 in December and rides the heck out of it now....he does really well but the leash still stays on until the batteries get wore down a bit...

with the little wheelers (yes more age appropriate) you can just let them ride around w/o worring too much but they'll grow out of them pretty quickly (one summer)....as long as dad is willing to participate in the ride, the bigger/faster wheeler is as safe as dad wants it to be and you'll get several years use out of it...plus it is that much more time playing with the little guy....

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    For the younger kids, we used to have a battery-operated riding Thomas train, which ran on tracks. It was built for smaller kids, and they could reach the accelerator pedal.
    you still have it? wanna' get rid of it?...I bet my 2yo would have a ball on one of those...
    pull my finger....

tjm, thanks for the pics. How did you go about mounting the duallys on her? Glad to hear the 4 y/o is still getting a kick out of it. I'd rather them grow into it and have a fun rig for them to ride for 3-4 years then have to upgrade...

140 bones!! Wow! thats a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    How did you go about mounting the duallys on her?
    the guy at ToysRUse had a box of extra tires, his name was Elim...I'm sure he'd give you a pair if you needed them, he said that he has no use for them....

to mount them, all I did was get some longer bolts and went through both wheels......so only the pressure that the nut on the back side is exerting is holding the 2 tires together, basically just a tire sandwich...lol...you can see the longer bolts sticking through the hub in the 2nd pic (right side)

...it has held up just fine, even to the abuse that his 5yo cousin puts on it...lol...

another thing, this wheeler has the most ground clearance than any other I looked at....probably why it was a little tippy, but the duallies fixed that...lol
    pull my finger....

We've created a mosnter! I picked up a wheeler, and of course I couldn't wait until the actual birthday date, so we let her ride it today under very close supervision (as she didn't have a helmet yet). She was kind of leary for the first, oh say, 10-15 seconds, then after that she didn't want to get off the thing! I will admit, it is asking too much of a two year old to combine steering, accelleration, braking, looking where they are going, etc., but in time I know she'll get it. I forsee at least 3-4 years out of this thing. As a bonus, I found where you can get spare parts too. Thought I'd share some pictures of the first big ride.

I'm impressed with the unit. Disc brakes, rubber tires, metal frame, 24 volt....A+

Now we gotta pry her from it, and yes, I'll admit, it gets a little ugly....

nice to see...just be sure to post some pics of the doughnuts she burns in your lawn.......
    pull my finger....

Default Spare parts?

Hunt_Ak
    Where did you find the spare parts for these? I too have a son that will be 3 in Oct. and he needs a new toy. Ok...... dad needs to see him riding a new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by mayormack View Post
    Hunt_Ak
    Where did you find the spare parts for these? I too have a son that will be 3 in Oct. and he needs a new toy. Ok...... dad needs to see him riding a new toy.
    Razorama.com--Razor Dirt Quad Replacement Parts.

I feel ya. I think I was more excited about giving it to her and seeing her rip around on it than anything. Heck its still 6 days till her birthday!

hey, after looking, it seems like a lot of the parts are outta stock, but you can apparently get email updates when they are back in...

Second Site

I just did some quick googling for "razor quad parts" and it seems like you can definitely shop around and find what you need. Nice to know you can get parts for these as we are planning on running it through at least 2 kids (and my future nieces/nephews)

Thanks for the info. I think I'll be picking one up soon!