Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antler nubs?

Arrow Antler nubs?

The last two days I've had a bull with 1" antler nubs browsing around my house. The season is a week away. The regs mention that nubs in November signify calves that are not legal in spork hunts. This guy is definitely not a calf. Shouldn't a bull that's supposed to have a spike or fork have them by August? Is a 1" fuzzy-nubbed bull legal?? Any idea how much they can grow in a week?

My brother in law had a run in with F&G a few years ago with a bull just like you describe. He initially had the moose seized and was issued a citation for an illegal moose. He fought it and won and got his meat back, but it was a hassle. The definition of a "point" is something over 1" long and longer than it is wide. I'm not sure what the minimum length is for a "spike" though. I think it would be legal if it is more than 1".
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Not legal read your regs has to be a clear spike and a definate fork.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

1 inch nubs = 2 points
    spike fork= 3 points

You've got a really big calf let him grow to adulthood and save yourself a major fine.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post

spike fork= 3 points
    No, no, no...Rick, you don't need to have a spike and a fork. It has to have either a spike or a fork on at least one side. The spike moose I shot a couple of years ago had a single spike on each side. Granted, each single spike was about 10" long, but it was perfectly legal. As long as it is legal on one side, the other side doesn't matter. It could be a paddle, three points, whatever. Just like sheep and the full curl rule, only one side matters. Here is the actual text from page 33 of the regs:

"A bull is legal if it has one antler on either side that is a spike (1 point) or a fork (two points). The antler on the other side can be any configuration."

As for the moose in question here, it sounds like it should be legal. If you get a clear look at him before the season opens, though, you might consider taking a picture and taking it to a wildlife trooper for a look.

Brian is right, it is an either/or situation. The moose has to have a minimum of one side EITHER a spike OR a fork. I had a friend shoot a fork that had a fully developed palm on the other side. If they had matched, the bull would have been probably 36" or so. He was just under developed on the one side.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Dude you have no idea how many legal moose have lived do to my misread of that! My bad.

Now I'm confused again say a moose had a palm on one side and a fork on the other? (forgive me insomnia has me in it's grips again and the new, newest here give this one a try med ain't helping.
    BHA Member

Never mind got it now.

Up feeding the little guy Brian, I have too admit I miss that. Unfortunately Gunther is a very light sleeper so I cant ever peek in on him without waking him.
    BHA Member

Our little guy is down for the night. As of about a week ago, he sleeps straight through until 7:30am or so.

Hopefully I'll find such a moose with some sort of spike or fork on one side in about a week. I'll be out traipsing around with my bow for at least a day or two before I have to head back to work, so maybe I'll get lucky.

This one is going to have palms by now but there's at least 2 smaller bulls that walk the same trail up into the mountains.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

This one is going to have palms by now but there's at least 2 smaller bulls that walk the same trail up into the mountains.
    That photo reminds me of my elderly neighbor....

He had a 6' chain link fence behind his house where he had a couple of dogs. One night he calls me up and said a moose killed himself in his back yard. The guy is so upset he isn't making any sense and is very worked up so I drove over to his house to see what was wrong. My neighbor came out weilding his mini-14 (not exactly sure why...) and walked me around the house to where the moose way lying.

Sure enough, there was a 2 year old bull dead'er than a door nail just outside the fence. My neighbor, Bill, told me the moose had been walking by the fence and the dogs commenced barking and the thing just turned and charged the dogs. He ran head long into the fence and must have broken his neck because he never moved again!

I called the troopers for him and they arranged a charity to come out for it The dispatcher sounded like it would be OK for me to keep it, but I was recovering from shoulder surgery and was in no shape to be butchering a moose! I got my 6-wheeler and winched the moose up out of his back yard and drug it out to the road for the charity. I was REALLY bummed about not being able to keep it since it was in such good shape... It would have filled the freezer nicely!
    AKmud

Mud
    Gunther was swept up and carried inside about 2 seconds after that shot because my dog and that little bull kept trying to scrap through the fence. Although the pic is cute that particular bull has been worrying at times and I wish he was legal this year.
    BHA Member

I read that section of the regs again. They define a spike as a "1 point", and they define a point as being at least one inch long, and longer than it is wide. So he's got a week or two or growing to do.

Thumbs up

Tonite I got a broadhead target at Sportsman's Warehouse (on sale $35) and was out shooting it. The Slick Tricks are still dead-on where the field points hit. I was about to go downrange to collect my arrows when I noticed the little bull standing off to the right about 60 yards away watching me practice what I'm planning to do to him next week. I went in and got the binoculars and looked at his nubs. They are at least twice as high as they were two days ago - at least an inch high, and maybe higher than wide. If they continue to grow at that rate, by Sunday he will definitely be fair game.

Default Same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Landis View Post
    Tonite I got a broadhead target at Sportsman's Warehouse (on sale $35) and was out shooting it. The Slick Tricks are still dead-on where the field points hit. I was about to go downrange to collect my arrows when I noticed the little bull standing off to the right about 60 yards away watching me practice what I'm planning to do to him next week. I went in and got the binoculars and looked at his nubs. They are at least twice as high as they were two days ago - at least an inch high, and maybe higher than wide. If they continue to grow at that rate, by Sunday he will definitely be fair game.
    I was out doing the same thing, except i am using G5 montecs and i was out shooting at my broadhead target and saw this little guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know at the fish and game office in Palmer that used to have a mounted nubbin bull and it said that it was was not legal.

Well, now I'm wondering. If the picture posted below is of a bull in August, is it considered a calf because the velvet isn't off the little spikes yet? The regs talk about 1"-2" hair-covered nubs on calves by November. What about 4" hair-covered spikes in August? The little bull in my yard will easily be 4"-6" by rifle season. I emailed an F&G biologist about this - hopefully he has time to answer.

4-6" covered in velvet would most certainly be legal.

mmmmmm....veal.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast