Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where am I, Jim Creek or Russian River???

Default Where am I, Jim Creek or Russian River???

I couldda' swore that I was at Jim Creek but it looked more like the russian...lol...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I couldda' swore that I was at Jim Creek but it looked more like the russian...lol...
    yeah me the hubby and the alaska raceway park people have been heading out there last week...its been crazy elbow to elbow fishing...some days good, others not so... this is our first year out there... is this not normal?

Quote Originally Posted by faemystique View Post
    is this not normal?
    not sure...I've only been out that way a few times during this time of year...I've seen crowds but not this many....could be totally normal though, Im sure someone can chime in who knows the area better.....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

It is nice having a smooth road into the area, but it allows just about any car out there too. Maybe it is time to bring back the 'ol 3' deep ruts!!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I live directly across the knick from Jim creek and yes both Jim creek and the Eklunta tail race are busier than normal, happens every time the parks hwy streams crump. Folks aren't willing too drive to the little su or willow for sub par fishing so the ghetto spots get hit...yep I said ghetto spots IMO 2 of the top 3 least desirable places to fish in Alaska.(The Russian Kenai confluence area being number 1)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

ya i dont really care to much to fish jim creek with all the bullets flying out there.. one guys said his hat got shot off one year when he was fishing there..

Ray
    Semper Fi!

We talked about it on Sat. show. Do to high gas prices allot of people now are staying close to home to fish. Jim creek was a golden secret. But know with the internet and people talking it has changed.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary
    I mean this with a great deal of respect but honestly what secret? Jim Creek was one of the first and most often suggested fishing spots given too me when I moved to the valley. Kinda like saying the Talkeetna and it's tribs are good bow fishing till the water cloudy's up. Or if ya hike a little ways from the sanctuary the Russian can be fun too fish. Gas and a sub par year for the parks streams are whats causing the crowds, not that someone let the cat out of the bag.

Greythorn
    You should have spent time out there about 5 years ago before the police increased there patrols, even with the extra folks it's been a very quiet summer across the river.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Regardless if Jim Creek is located in the armpit of Alaska, but the fishing is ruined there now. Too many people making it not enjoyable at all.

My brother in law went to Jim Creek Yesterday and said the fish were everywhere. He had people catch a limity and leave annd another group come and limit and leave. He did not catch any. A guy with a fly rod caught a bunch and let my nephew use his fly pole to catch one too (that is very awesome and thank you kind Sir).

I have not had any reason to go to Jim Creek and I still have no desire to go there. That is where I caught my first couple hundred silvers when I first moved up here in 1984.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

i sure do like catching fish, but i sure hate drunks and punk kids.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I live directly across the knick from Jim creek and yes both Jim creek and the Eklunta tail race are busier than normal, happens every time the parks hwy streams crump. Folks aren't willing too drive to the little su or willow for sub par fishing so the ghetto spots get hit...yep I said ghetto spots IMO 2 of the top 3 least desirable places to fish in Alaska.(The Russian Kenai confluence area being number 1)
    I've been out there a few times in the last week during the day. There were people, but there were also fish in good numbers. I never fished more than an hour and was able to catch my limit of salmon (3). All the people I encountered were very nice- even if a lot of them hadn't caught anything.

The area is what you make it. It can be one of the best views in the valley if you are able to tune out the crowds and automatic gunfire!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Wow, Ship Creek didn't make the top 3?

ya im probably jumping to conclusions from what i hear about what goes on there.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Default Jim Creek-No so bad!

Jim Creek is my favorite place to fish. Snaggers, 4-wheelers, and gunshots don't bother me. I simply tune them out and have fun. Great scenery of the glacier and I always try to help someone out that might need some advice on how to catch a silver or red. I have fished nothing but eggs out there this year and have limited out every time but once. Probably 15 visits there this year. I now have the troopers number for palmer in my phone and plan on calling all violators in from now on. The troopers presence will help a lot out there.

Who told???

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan View Post
    Jim Creek is my favorite place to fish. Snaggers, 4-wheelers, and gunshots don't bother me. I simply tune them out and have fun. .
    Hmm,guess I grew up pretty spoiled,I wouldnt settle for any of those,specially the flyin lead from people I dont know,in a direction Im not certain,under circumstances that are less than smart.
    Its amazing what passes for "alaskan experience" this pass decade or two.

ak4195

Mark

Where am I, Jim Creek or Russian River???
    If the bears are chewing on folks, you're at the Russian River.

If there aren't any bears around, you're probably at Jim Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

And if you see a Suburban stuck in the middle of the river you are probably at Jim Creek
    NRA Lifetime Member

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fishnngrinn View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark

And if you see a Suburban stuck in the middle of the river you are probably at Jim Creek
    And if you see a complete lack of both facilities and law enforcement, you're probably at Jim Creek.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast