Thread: Grouse numbers?

Default Grouse numbers?

Took a 13 mile hike today at my most favorite grouse hunting spot. Only seen 3 ruffs and 7 spruce no sharp tails. I usually see two to three times that and some sharp tails......any one else been paying attention to the birds....season opens next weekend.

Default Grouse Numbers

Hello,

Spent the other day chasing rabbits and scouting one of my better grouse spots...Numbers due appear a bit lower, plan on going out early morning if it ever quits raining.

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by alaska32 View Post
    Hello,

Spent the other day chasing rabbits and scouting one of my better grouse spots...Numbers due appear a bit lower, plan on going out early morning if it ever quits raining.
    Ive seen very few birds myself,and between the dogs and I Im dying to get out there.And Ive only seent he dang Sprucies.

Default very few

i havne't seen to many down here in delta this year so far, have had buddies seen hens with chicks running around, although the ptarmigan i've heard are doing slightly better. Plan on heading out tomorrow for the opener on ptarmigan with the dogs and get some real live action in and do some scouting.

Default Delta

hey Mike my co-worker is coming over for the UFC fights tonight and he swears when see what he bought Im going to want to go to Delta tomorrow with him hmm? I wonder if he got a an O/U shotgun Might be in your area tomorrow,God Luck to you.Daniel

I've seen a bunch this year.

hey me and some buddies want to go for some grouse but not exactly shure where to go. you have any advice. im in unit 20 seen rabbits but thats about it know any decent places?

Arrow First bird of the season

I got this guy about an hour ago. I'm in 14A. He was stuffed with half-ripe lowbush cranberries. I usually get a dozen or two around the house every year, but I don't look too hard for them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice bird. was that at your home? i'm tempted to take up bow hunting for birds.

Default No Such Luck

Well just got back and we only saw one **** ptarmigan and covered some miles today. The dogs are pooped and wet, they worked hard. We started from the top of the world and went up fish creek, then up the denali and nothing. Talked to the aleyska patrol and they haven't seen much down there or the people at tangles lodge, so either they are still up high or it wasn't a good year for chicks with it being so wet. Oh and the O/U shotgun my girlfriend bought me one for christmas a mossberg and it's quite a shooter when you have something to shoot at.

Mike

Default hre,

Yes, he was a yardbird. They just sit there so you have to do something to make it interesting -

MikeGSP,

did you cross the whole Denali Hwy? or were you just by the Tangles area? I'm headed up to that area next week for several days of vacation. Would be interested in any areas along the Denali Hwy that you might suggest. I don't have a dog. Thanks

No we didn't go all the way across, just up to rock creek by the landmark gap taril head. To be honest i'm not sure where would be a good place to go since i thought we were in some nice places with the brush mixed with gravel knobs. All that my shorthair seemed to find was a porcupine, it was her first and i hope her last. wasn't bad only 10 or so. From what the people at tangles said they haven't seen much of birds at all this year.