Thread: TMA Ram hunt

Default TMA Ram hunt

My father and I flew into the TMA on August seventh with 40-mileair.

August 7 - After being dropped off just afternoon we packed up to the bottom of a big glacier were we camped near a glacial lake. We did not see any sheep this day but did see 2 black bears and 2 grizzlies while hiking.

August 8 - We hiked a few miles up the glacier glassing for sheep but did not spot any. Once again we camped at the bottom of the glacier and while glassing just before dark I spotted two sheep a few miles up the glacier but on the other side. Through our sworovski spotter we could not tell the sex of these sheep.

August 9 - We packed up camp and headed up the glacier hiking approx. 2 miles where we set up camp on the glacier. This took the better part of the day as we found out how rugged the country is. On this evening we hiked another mile up the glacier and part way accross where we spotted 2 rams on our side bedded on a rock cliff at the base of another canyon. After closing the distance we watched as they went down the cliff and up the other side. We determined that one ram was a legal sheep being broomed on both sides and the other was very close to being full curl. On this same side we also spotted a 3/4 curl.

August 10 - We left camp and headed up the glacier towards the canyon. At the canyon we spotted the same three rams plus another 3/4 curl. We then decided to seek out the head of the main glacier approx. 4 more miles up. There we found a ewe and two lambs on our side and about 35 ewes and lambs on the other side all the way at the head. We also discovered how brutal the weather can be on these glaciers having blowing wind with rain and snow. On our trek back towards the canyon where we spotted the rams we decided to hike up the mountain on the south side of the canyon in hopes of getting above the sheep to get a better view. At about 4-5 thousand feet we observed the same 4 rams that we spotted earlier plus one other ram that was a real bruiser all by himself, all on the north side. We then hiked off the mountain down to a big glacier in this canyon that feeds into the main glacier. Here we watched the rams and contemplated on how I would harvest the biggest ram. We decided the mountain was too steep to shoot the ram on and decided to sleep on the glacier under a tarp and hopefully catch him coming down.This evening it did not happen.

August 11 - When morning came we spotted the big ram again not far from the cave that he called home. Again he did not make the mistake. At
    around 9:30 am we decided we had better get back to the tent for some sound sleep, food, and warmth. We slept the rest of the day and through the night.

August 12 - Woke up to more fog and rain. Around 10 am we decided to go seek out the big one. On our way to the canyon we noticed the broomer, the questionable full curl, and one of the 3/4 curls had made there way half way from the canyon towards our tent. These rams were vulnerable in this position but given that my first ram last year was a heavily broomed ram I decided to go for the bruiser. Upon reaching the canyon we glassed hard for the big ram but could not find him. We decided to go up the canyon and after trekking about a mile my father spotted two real respectable rams on the south side clinging the cliff. This was the first time we had spotted either of the two boys and determined both to be legal with one being broomed on one side. After watching these rams for about an hour I decided I would shoot either ram if they were to venture down towards the glacier. While glassing back over on the north side I spotted the big boy skylined on top of the mountain. It did not take long to decide to pass on the two better than legal rams in front of me and climb the north side in hopes of getting a shot at the bruiser sheep. So I did just that. With my rifle over my shoulder and a bottle of water in hand I had everything I could do to make it to with in 400 yards of were I had last spotted him and just then, there he was, but just his head and he had me pegged. I held still and he eventually dissapperared. Within the next 100 yards this happened two more times where all I could see was his head. The second time he stared me down for about five min.s while I had all I could do not to make a move while holding on with hands and feet on the cliff. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. After tiptoeing accross the last two rock slides I made it to the green where I then quietly slipped over the top and spotted him bolting away at 60 yrds back where I just came from. Unfortunately my scope had been left on nine power and when I finally found him in sight I paniced and blew a hole right through the center of his left horn. He was unphased and moving over a knoll towards the rock slides. I ran 100 yards to catch up with him and then put him down. He rolled down about two hundred yards and I finished him off. I then ran to him in hopes of saving him from rolling 7 thousand feet. He stayed and I could not believe what just happened. I climbed down the mountain to get my father and our packs and headed back up, a safer route than I took originally. My father paniced and could not believe what I climbed to get this ram. All I can say is that you fellow sheep hunters all know that we have taken chances and done some things that normal people would not attempt. We got to the ram just in time to take video footage and pictures before night fall. We did just that then spent the entire night under my flashlight while my father skinned, fleshed, deboned and packed the ram.

August 13 - At first light we were packed and heading down the much more gradual front side of the mountain. The rest was a lot of work but the two of us could not have been happier.

After aging and measuring he taped at 39 1/4 with 13 1/4 bases at the age of 9.

Thanks to all that helped! Now I have to ask Fullkurl for some help in posting the photos, I will email them to you. Hope you enjoy- Brian

Wow! Sounds like it was an awesome, classic sheep hunt experience. I can't wait to see the pictures..thanks for sharing the story in so much detail!

-Brian

Default another excellent story

thanks, looking for those photos

Default posting photos

I emailed the photos to both supercub and fullkurl in hopes that one would be kind enough to post them for this computer illiterate sheep hunter. Thanks

Default Wow!!!

Ultra:

Dude, that was one awesome story. Can't wait to see your ram!

Thumbs up Second that WOW!

I can honestly say I was physically drained from reading that story. That was intense.
    As a sheephunter, UltraMag, your experience makes me feel like a poseur back from a "gentleman's hunt". I can't wait to see that monster, I'll watch the inbox and post 'em unless AKcub does first.

Geez, what an awesome hunt.....the stuff dreams are made of. Well done.

Congrats on the great hunt. That story belongs in a hunting magazine. I want to go sheep hunting.

Thumbs up

ultra mag,

GREAT STORY and a FANTASTIC RAM!!! CONGRATULATIONS to you and your Dad. Hope you realize how fortunate you are to have your Dad with you on these type of hunts. Thanks for sharing your story and the pictures.