Thread: First day shooting the longbow

Default First day shooting the longbow

Today I shot my longbow for the first time. Also shot a recurve I picked up at a yardsale on Saturday for 20 bucks. Stopped by Kincaid park for awhile and had some fun. I learned a few things today.

1. I need a lot more practice!
    2. I now know why an armguard is important. Next item on the to buy list!
    3. Same thing for gloves.
    4. I need a lot more practice!
    5. I found muscles in my arm I did not know existed.
    6. Practice, practice, practice...

My youngest was shooting a cheap Bear bow we got at Wal-Mart. For a little bow she was getting some distance out of that thing. She managed to get just over 50 yards when she got bored with the 10 yard target and started to try for the long shots.

Mom and my oldest tried the longbow, but decided that it was too much for them just yet. Will have to wait till the Genesis arrives for them to have much fun.

We had fun and will probably go back out tomorrow.

Draw with your back not just the muscles of your arm. I know, trust me it will make sense when you get it right. also might want to check your form I have been bit by my bow string twice, don't even own an arm guard.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

10-4 on the form. I tend to keep my arm straight rather than slightly bent like I should. Going to have to work on the basics.

Try canting the bow over a little more, seems to force a natural bend to my arm, for me anyway.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Good form is very important with a longbow. Hitting your arm with the bowstring stings a little. Hitting you arm with a jacket and armguard while launching a broadhead at something you have been hunting for a week stings a bit more. Don't ask me how I know that.

Talking

Also hold the bow like its a suitcase handle with bent wrist. I shoot a recurve so its saddled in the web between my thump and first finger with an all most a open hand. Thats something you can't do with a straight handled long bow. I have known guys that are pretty good with a longbow. Great Northern Bow Co makes a very fine casting longbow and in MI if your ever here.

Funny I am just waiting for the Goose opener on 9/1 in Ontario and some uneducated geese. SOON ya soon.

Default Also try...

adjusting your stance. Just take a half step forward with the leg on the same side as your drawing arm.

Thumbs up Nice!

Have you found your dominate eye?

Is it easy to draw your bow?

If not then identify your dominant eye and pick up a used bow that will accommodate your dominate eye with very low draw weight. Also read instinctive shooting by G. Fred Asbell or something similar? Combine all these elements with routine practice and IMO this is your best way to learn the fundamentals of shoot traditional tackle competently. Then you go hunting!

Good luck!

Yiu have begun the road on a long & glorious addiction!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!
    I'll second Asbell's books on instinctive shooting. I believe there are 2 volumes & volume 2 has more on form with a longbow. I think both are must reads.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks for the tips.

One thing I was also doing was switching between the longbow and the recurve. I picked up the recurve at a yard sale for 20 bucks. Has a bit more power than the longbow, but there are no markings on it. I think it is a home build. The recurve has a shelf with one of those cheap plastic arrow rests on it and the longbow has no shelf.

I would have been better off sticking to just one of them till I get it down then trying out the other, but I wanted to shoot both of them the first time out.

My shots were high and to the right when I was shooting well. Was doing the same thing when out at the Archers Den with the learner bows they use as well. Will get my form and grouping down before I work on that though.

BTW you should not shoot “plastic” veins off a shelf! You need to shoot “Fletched” feathered arrows off a shelf. Veins will not shoot consistently – they are intended for a compound bow with a mechanical rest.

James is spot on there.
    What longbow did you get Bilder?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

This is a home made one. Red Oak backed with linen.

Smile

Your #6: "Practice,practice,practice." Words to live by.