Thread: Salmon shipping?

Default Salmon shipping?

Anyone have suggestions on cheapest route for shipping fresh salmon to lower 48? Supplies for packaging, next day, etc... Never shjipped before and don't even know where to begin. Any tips would be appreciated.

Default Shipping your fish...

There is nothing cheap about shipping your fish, period. I recently returned from Kodiak and I was facing a two box (50 lbs. each) dillema.

I live in Florida, and I was facing a long transit. I checked my air carrier and and I also opened a Fed Ex cooperate acount to investigate the most economical way to get the boxes home.

Fed Ex came at me at $175.00 per box; standard overnight service. The air carrier came at me at $100.00 a box.

The decision was easy. I took the air carrier check and saved $150.

I also beared out one of my suitcases and sent three parcels of US Priority Mail flat rate boxes home for under $30.00. This opened up my suitcase and I packed in 22 lbs. of frozen product inside my insulated coveralls on a free check all the way home.

Though rates of excess baggage will vary from carrier to carrier, be assured of this; there is no cheaper way to bring your fish home then to check it with you.

Do not use waxed boxes. They are uninsulated. Yes, you can buy the insulation inserts, but they are not as effective as the Styrafoam lid and bottom combinations offered in the white boxes designed specificaly for frozen transit via the commercial carriers.

Use a scale, use duct tape, use a black marker, and freeze ahead in vacuum packages. The whole thing takes planning and time and it's the last thing you do prior to departure.

I've been on the get-go doing this for over twenty years and over a half million miles. I consider this the most effective and cost efficent way to bring your fish home...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default Thanks!!

Wow...got it down to a science do you? Thanks for the info, it helps tremendously. And your right about no cheap way of doing it!

Bernard, I appreciate your opinion, but we've brought multiple waxed cardboard boxes home to MN multiple times over the years and i can attest to thier working VERY well. When the fish are pre-frozen (hard!) and packed properly, we have appx. 20 hours from the time we pick 'em up at the Kenai Cache till we get them to our freezer in MN, and we experience NO thawing whatsoever. The first couple times (as far back as '95) the boxes were just heavy waxed cardboard...seems like they have changed in the last few years and were lighter cardboard w/ stryo inserts. But they both worked fine.

Default Whatever it takes...

Twenty hours from AK to MN is good.

My time somtimes runs from 24 to 36 hours from the time of the pack-up off Kodiak and then down to FL and then into my freezer; thus the Styrafoam choice.

There's a plus to the Styrafoam. You get to re-use the cooler inserts...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"