Thread: Few ?? on Seward Silver Salmon fishing from the beach

Default Few ?? on Seward Silver Salmon fishing from the beach

I'm going to Eagle River for a week and for the most part have nothing much to do.
    I asked one of my aunts if there is any fishing to be done anywhere that is easily accessible by car and she said there will be a silver run at Seward. If her husband is up to it, they will take my sons and I there for a day to get a few fish for them.
    Since I have no experience in fishing anywhere else other than my home town and in the Nome area (it's been a while though), what's it like in Seward? Is it one of those shoulder to shoulder type of fishing that I occasionally see in the news and magazines?
    Do my 2 boys, aged 9 and 7, need a fishing license/tags in order to fish?

Thanks

Your best bet is to book a charter to get your silvers in Seward. It is hit or miss from the beaches. A good charter boat will get you a limit in no time.

Kids under 16 do not need a license. The fish (silvers) ar not in the harbor or at the beaches yet. Miller's Landing has some 1/2 day charters that produce fish. if the silvers are not hitting you can take home bass and possible ling cod or yellow eye

I saw a post where someone hiked up past Caines head in seward and got chums and pinks till his arms fell off.
    I heard that ressurection creek off Nash road is doing ok.

I would go North if you were in eagle river and fish the : little su, Sheep creek, Jim's creek, Eklutna tailrace, Montana creek.......list goes on.

Did you WANT to fish seward or is that what you were told as the closest place?

Lot's of better places right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    I saw a post where someone hiked up past Caines head in seward and got chums and pinks till his arms fell off.

I would go North if you were in eagle river and fish the : little su, Sheep creek, Jim's creek, Eklutna tailrace, Montana creek.......list goes on.

Just to add to resurrection creek in Seward...
    I was there this weekend and had a blast catching pinks. Very few people there and my wife caught her first salmon out there. She ended up outfishing me, but it was worth it. Now she is hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by PACK1969 View Post
    Your best bet is to book a charter to get your silvers in Seward. It is hit or miss from the beaches. A good charter boat will get you a limit in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Kids under 16 do not need a license. The fish (silvers) ar not in the harbor or at the beaches yet. Miller's Landing has some 1/2 day charters that produce fish. if the silvers are not hitting you can take home bass and possible ling cod or yellow eye
    Thanks for the licensing info. When do the Silvers start hitting the beaches in Seward? We won't be in Eagle River for another 2 weeks yet.
    I'd rather not charter a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post

When I asked where the fishing would be at about the time we will be in Eagle River my aunt said that Silvers would be in Seward. She didn't suggest any other places for fishing. It doesn't matter to me where we will fish, just as long as we get some to fill up some of her freezer space for the winter.

Regarding the creeks you suggested. Is the fishing up the creeks or close to the mouth? Are the easily accessible? Crowds? Wildlife? Bears mainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Just to add to resurrection creek in Seward...
    I was there this weekend and had a blast catching pinks. Very few people there and my wife caught her first salmon out there. She ended up outfishing me, but it was worth it. Now she is hooked.
    Sounds fun. Glad you had a great time with your wife.
    Thanks.

I thought that might be the case!
    There are a LOT of park Hwy steams to fish, Little susitna, Sheep Creek, Montana creek, Willow creek.
    The three to concentrate on IMO would be the little su, Montana and Willow.
    You can fish them from the hwy to the mouths, but of course read the regs as they MAY be different for each stream/area. You can fish all of them at the mouth where they join the susitna. All are pretty ok with bear problems, but you never know. They are more "remote" than some and you MAY see bears.

Also ask about Eklutna tailrace. (good silver fishing about 30 minutes north of eagle river) and it's a good place for kids. Occasional black bear sightings. Lot's of people generally though...........I heard some yahoo shot one this last week. (no idea if that is true or not)
    Jim Creek. (A couple threads running on this one in this forum)

I always suggest HOPE for pinks if you want the kids to catch some. (south about 2 hours from Eagle river).

Seward MAY be ok, is a cool place, and like someone said ressurection creek is good!

Kenai will be slower and might produce lots of fish. Even the Russian should be a lot emptier.

Thanks for all the info Akbrowns fan.

Which lures are good for pinks, chums and silvers? Pixies OK?

Any parts of the creeks we should stay away from? Like some mud flats that I've read about.

Sorry for all the questions, I've never been there and done that. I don't know how much experience my aunt and her husband has with those areas and I would like to get as much info as I can, just in case.

I'll give this info to my aunt the next time we have a talk.

No problem!! This is why this forum is here.

Lures: for silvers you can fish roe under a bobber if it's legal in that waterway. You can fish either pixies or vibrax as well. Or if you fly fish then an egg sucking leach or a bright big fly (I like anything pink) will work.

Pinks will eat anything silvers will hit. Pinks seem to really like Pink as well. All the park Hwy steams are safe as far as mud flats go. That problems is mainly for ship creek (here in anchorage) and Bird Creek (1/2 hour south of anchorage. )

Be bear aware wherever you go, and I'd get some bear spray as well. We've had a lot of bear problems this year.

Another good site is http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/
    That is the main page, and go to fishing reports (upper left corner) and go to private fishing reports. That should help you plan as well.

After that just keep asking questions. I've found the people on this board to be helpful, friendly and more knowledgeable than me!!