Thread: Bolt won't close On BARNES 180 gr TSX Boattail

Default Bolt won't close On BARNES 180 gr TSX Boattail

Reloaded Barnes TSX last night and then went to the range today. I was unable to close my bolt. I am not sure why? I seatted them well below the max C.O.L of 3.30 at 3.20. The Minimum was 2.94. They ribbled the neck of the cartiridge which is the reason I believe i was unable to close the bolt? Anyone have any adivce? Luckly I wasn't relying on these for this up coming hunt and also tryed a load of Nosler partitons I was really pleased with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ynggrasshopper View Post
    They ribbled the neck of the cartiridge which is the reason I believe i was unable to close the bolt?
    Right on the money. Now the question is why they rippled the neck. Did the bottom edge of the bullet snag the case mouth as you seated it? That would probably indicate you need more chamfer on the case mouth. If the die was set to apply a lot of crimp, lack of a cannelure in a bullet or missing the canelure can also cause crinkles. Since you were previously loading Noslers, I doubt that's the issue, though. There's also the chance that with such a long bullet, if you had a case full of powder you could have been scrunching things when you seated the bullet. That last is idle speculation because I don't know what cartridge, powder and charge you're using.

But when you wrinkle, ribble or ripple the case necks, bad things happen because tolerances at the neck are so close within the chamber.

Default Didn't Chamfer

Pretty sure that was the cause. I thought for some reason I didn't need to since it was new brass. My mistake hadn't had the oppurtunity to try and reload them again in different brass that I chamfer but talking to some other buddys at work and they said that was the likely cause. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ynggrasshopper View Post
    Pretty sure that was the cause. I thought for some reason I didn't need to since it was new brass. My mistake hadn't had the oppurtunity to try and reload them again in different brass that I chamfer but talking to some other buddys at work and they said that was the likely cause. Thanks
    Yeah, brand new brass can have a lot of irregularities at the neck, even if they are the right length. Some are even dented.

I'm in the habit of running the new brass up into a sizing die till the neck just starts to size a little, then back it out. This trues up the neck mouth. Then I use a chamfering tool to take a little of the sharp edge of the inside and outside of the neck.

Last time I forgot to do that, I got exactly the same result you did. Fortunately for me it was on the very first round I seated a bullet in, so I was able to back off and start over.

Sounds like you have some knowledgeable folks at your place of work. Having experience close at hand is priceless when you run into problems. I'd say you owe them each a beverage of their choice!

Default Dont forget to

Chamferring the brass, new or old always a MUST I think.

Additionally always ck the 1st and every 5th or so in the mag or clip n try to cycle it thru the action while at home. This will tell ya if ya got problems before ya load to many and head off to the range only to discover a problem n have to pull the bullets n start over.

I learned this early on by making the same, well misjudgement.

Good Luck