Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother charged by brown bear

Default Brother charged by brown bear

Well my brother was down on the Kenai and was walking in to his fishing hole.He was making plenty of noise and a grizzly stands up on the trail hes, on about 40 feet away.So he fires a round in the air , and the bear drops down on all fours and charges him.The bear gets about 10 feet away and he fires 2 rounds .One hits it in the jaw the other in the chest area. The bear turns and takes off with cubs in tow. He lets the rangers know about the shooting and heads back to his fishing hole only to have another bear on the same trail. He fires a round in the air and the bears still heads in his direction and then disappears off the trail.Myself I would have called it a day and gone elsewhere. Later on he finds out they found the bear and try to dispatch it with slugs from a 12 gauge,hitting it twice. The bear headed off in the woods and they finally finished it off. Myself ,im not sold on the slug use for a bear,Ill stick to my 45-70 with handloads. My brother was using a .44 magnum with 300 grain factory rounds. Hes lucky to be alive....I guess hes going to start carrying his 12 gauge again...GOOD THINKING or better yet get a 45-70...

Default close call

Glad to hear your brother was unharmed. It sounds like he was doing everything right.

Eel

If you have no choice you have to shoot. Here in MN we only have black bear to deal with and they are a pain but nothing to worry about. I would not want to stop a brown with a handgun. I am glad he is OK!

Default Sad ...

Sad outcome. But it would have been much worse if that article read, "Fisherman killed on the Kenai today". Glad you brother is OK. I like S&W 500 with 4" barrel and Marlin Guide Gun myself. Buffalo Bore in both. Even if I miss, I may give them a heart attack, or catch them on fire with the muzzle blast. Ha ha.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

danthedewman1:

Thanks for the article.

The F&G "wildlife technician" bent over backwards to be PC. He mentioned the public safety aspect, but his focus was on how awful it was that the bears had to die, and who was to blame. And of course, it wasn't the bear's fault. If I'd heard him say.... "the bears were here first", I would have gagged, but he didn't, so that's a plus.

Probably, the only good thing about this, is that it will encourage more people to carry firearms to protect themselves and more bears will be shot. That might actually save some lives.

The SOA is trying to get more people to buy Fishing Licenses. This won't help that effort.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Not everything...

Never fire a round into the air. You have no idea where that round is going and you would be responsible for it. That is a lack of gun safety and he did it twice to boot. If one must fire a "warning" shot, fire into soft ground.

Other than that, I have no problem with what the guy did in defending his life.

Quote Originally Posted by EelRiverChrome View Post
    Glad to hear your brother was unharmed. It sounds like he was doing everything right.

Eel

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    .....The F&G "wildlife technician" bent over backwards to be PC. He mentioned the public safety aspect, but his focus was on how awful it was that the bears had to die, and who was to blame. And of course, it wasn't the bear's fault......
    I'm not sure what this means:

......Jeff Selinger, Fish and Game Department area wildlife manager, said bears are not the problem.

"We need to get a grasp on preventing bears from getting into human-generated food items, such as carcasses, stringers, sandwiches in backpacks and coolers in the campground. Until that issue is addressed, we're going to continue to see the same thing - dead bears," he said.

The multi-agency management system in the area may need changes, he said.

"The current system is not working. There is a strong educational effort there, but it's not enough. To date, few tickets have been written in this area, so possibly one way to fix it is we need to step up regulations that will be strictly enforced," he said.

That is difficult, he said, because of the small staff numbers available. Anglers should address the issue, he said.

"Responsible fishermen need to speak up - in a nonconfrontational way - when they see someone doing something wrong, and say the right thing to do, so that others can follow," Selinger said.

The key is to minimize attractants in the area.

"Only then will things start to get better," he said.
    What does any of that have to do with this incident? The man was walking on a trail to get to the river to go fishing.

The river has fish in it. That is also the attractant for the bears.

sounds like a need for some bear hunting in the area.

Default brownie

I saw a brown bear fishing on the highway side of the river just upstream from the powerline. Some really really stupid people on the road walked down and tried to find the bear - in the brush where it had dissapeared - they were not armed at all. Bears are good - maybe they can eliminate some of the stupid people in this world (tongue in cheek).

There are lots of places in alaska for the bears to roam - next to fisherman is not a good thing - WHO is at the top of the foodchain nowadays anyway?

A couple less brown bears down that way ain't a bad thing.

I have been here 26 years but only floating the upper kenai for the last 5. I was just down there for 5 days. I have seen more bears in the last 5 days than in the last 5 years. They are all over black and brown from sportmans down. I was fishing with my head on a swivel the whole time. It is getting time to thin the herd out.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Question Think about it

You can track the increase in adverse bear encounters in this particular area to what may be the miss-guided concept of requiring fish to be cleaned and carcasses returned to the river. If not miss-guided perhaps it is a case of unintended consequence.

We the fishermen are putting the easy food for the pretty smart bears along the river. The obvious solution is to not do that! That means carrying out the whole darn thing (uhhh!) or coming up with a way to actually dispose of the carcass to the point that is of no interest to a bear.

There really is no excuse for provisions to properly dispose of fish carcass at the Russian already. Safe containers for dispose could certainly be provided away from the river or an in-river demolition of the carcass could be done. (chop in three parts yeah, I do that but it does not seem to be the answer either) But yet that effort still languishes. With the dramatic increase in fees in this area, why is it they can not manage to come up with a solution?

I quit fishing the Russian-Kenai area in the late '70's-because of what I THOUGHT were crowded conditions then, not bears. You'd see a black bear once in awhile, but no browns. There were plenty of fish back then, where were the brownies? You could hunt brown bear back then. Today every brown bear hunt on the Kenai is a draw hunt. I'd say that it's time to open up brown bear hunting for a few years.

there certainly are a lot of bears down there. On my September trip in 2005 i saw 39 brown bears in 29 days!!!!
    I only had one spooky moment, that was at night a couple of days after the girl from California was attacked at the Princess Lodge. At 5:30 one morning there was a brownie sniffing around my tent. I'll tell you that is a little unnerving. A week or so later while sitting around the campfire with a beverage I heard a muffled grunt ac ross Cooper Creek. I casually told my companion that there was abear across the creek. He laughed it off and didn't believe me. About 10 minutes later we heard the foot falls of a large animal run past us on the driveway, he quickly became a believer!! If you're not careful it is easy to get into trouble in the upper Kenai area, there are a ton of bears there. I agree that a regular hunt is in order. I'm a tourist and like seeing bears, but when you are fearful of what could be just around the next corner it takes away from the fishing experience.
    I will be there again this September for my 5th year. In those 5 years there have been bear attacks (in the Cooper Landing area) in 2003, 2005 and now 2008.
    Just last year I had a sow with twins pop out of the tall grass not 70 yards away.

As I said I like seeing bears but too many is a bad thing. IMHO

To bad it was a sow and they had to kill the three cubs. I have had a lot of bear encounters on Kodiak, and they are well behaved compared to the brown bears on the Kenai most notably the Russian River area. I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    To bad it was a sow and they had to kill the three cubs. I have had a lot of bear encounters on Kodiak, and they are well behaved compared to the brown bears on the Kenai most notably the Russian River area. I wonder why?
    Probably because they shoot them in Kodiak.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by traderjon View Post
    You can track the increase in adverse bear encounters in this particular area to what may be the miss-guided concept of requiring fish to be cleaned and carcasses returned to the river. If not miss-guided perhaps it is a case of unintended consequence.

We the fishermen are putting the easy food for the pretty smart bears along the river. The obvious solution is to not do that! That means carrying out the whole darn thing (uhhh!) or coming up with a way to actually dispose of the carcass to the point that is of no interest to a bear.

There really is no excuse for provisions to properly dispose of fish carcass at the Russian already. Safe containers for dispose could certainly be provided away from the river or an in-river demolition of the carcass could be done. (chop in three parts yeah, I do that but it does not seem to be the answer either) But yet that effort still languishes. With the dramatic increase in fees in this area, why is it they can not manage to come up with a solution?
    I'm thinkin,,,,,
    You have a Point.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default point taken

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    Not everything...

Never fire a round into the air. You have no idea where that round is going and you would be responsible for it. That is a lack of gun safety and he did it twice to boot. If one must fire a "warning" shot, fire into soft ground.

Other than that, I have no problem with what the guy did in defending his life.
    Good point. I stand corrected.

I haven't had any experience with grizzly bears. I've fished the Kenai before but never up river where most of the bears are. Do very many people carry bear spray? I understand that there have been some improvements to bear spray recently. Improvments like the amount in the can and the effective range. Some brands claim up to 30 feet range. How do you all feel about bear spray? Do you know of any instances on the Kenai where bear spray has been successfully used?

I have a .44 Mag. but would not feel real confident if my life was at stake up against a determined bear, other than putting one in his ear from point blank range. That's way too close.

Eel

This topic has been covered somewhat extensively and has been debated over the years over numerous threads and posts, including a very recent one from another forum on this site. My suggestion would be to search the archives as this thread would be totally hi-jacked if anyone posted anything about it here and most of us are biased with our opinions on the subject. If you want the truth, it is always best to research the topic for yourself and come to a conclusion of your own.. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by EelRiverChrome View Post
    Good point. I stand corrected.

I haven't had any experience with grizzly bears. I've fished the Kenai before but never up river where most of the bears are. Do very many people carry bear spray? I understand that there have been some improvements to bear spray recently. Improvments like the amount in the can and the effective range. Some brands claim up to 30 feet range. How do you all feel about bear spray? Do you know of any instances on the Kenai where bear spray has been successfully used?

I have a .44 Mag. but would not feel real confident if my life was at stake up against a determined bear, other than putting one in his ear from point blank range. That's way too close.

Eel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast