Thread: nelchina caribou

Default nelchina caribou

Time is nearly here. Anyone seen the caribou ie... Eureka vs Denali hwy ie...cantwel vs paxton?
    Jim

Default Nelchina Caribou

Jim,
    Just got back from my property up there, and got a pic of this bou on my remote cam. So they must be somewhere close by there. This is at mile 68 Denali Highway. Good Luck!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Seen one all summer up at Lake Louise and that was a month ago. Nothing yet...

ITs probably that the caribou know they are safe as I will NEVER get a tier II tag, but I see atleast a few everytime I get up in that area. Just head up there get off the road a ways and glass, they'll come to you most likely.

Default to denalihunter

did you ever get any bear shots on your camera? i have an old film one and thinking about going ditigal.

Default eureka bou

just returned from eureka last night and the place was crawling with caribou... biggest bull we saw was a massive double shovel 5 miles from the highway. But in typical fashion, the further in we went the more caribou were seen. One hilltop alone had probably 120+ animals just past the little nelchina ( i think that is the name of the river at the bottom of monument) good luck tier II hunters!!

Default Bear pics

Gunner,
    I haven't got any bear shots yet. Only had the camera's up a week. I have several up, just so I get a feel of the critters in the area. Got a couple of fox pic's, but it was nearly dark when the camera was set up. I anxiously check the pic's each time I get to the property each week! Lot's of fun! Soon as I get some bear pic's, i'll post em! Hopefully I'll be skinning it out in the picture!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Eureka bou.

How was the water level crossing the Little Nelchina? I have heard even some of the smaller creeks are pretty sporty. Any trouble crossing any rivers? Where you on a 4 wheeler or a Swamp crawler?

our group had a fourwheeler, yamaha rhino, and an argo. the argo tried to cross right at the bottom of monument and got swept down almost a quarter mile! but all was fine and it never flipped... if you head upstream a little ways you will find no trouble crossing where the river braids a little. All in all the trail was in really good condition, as it typically is, and the water crossings weren't problematic