Thread: Stampede trail

Default Stampede trail

Has anyone been on the stanpede trail? Just wanting to know how wet it was.

Most of the streams in that area get their start on the Denali side of the moutains so they might not be flooding.

In past years we've been in the area and not had a drop of rain for a week and the rivers and streams rise like crazy. Because it rained in the park.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Does anyone konw if it is easy crossing the taklanike or not.

The Teklanika can be a simple crossing through somewhat strong current, or it can be so high and fast that it's darn near suicide. A lot of it depends on how hot it's been lately. The river is actually more affected by glacial melt than by rain.

BTW, the trail is very wet, always. Beavers have made so many dams that even in the driest parts of summer the trail will be flooded for a hundred yards at a time in spots and it'll be virtually impossible to get through with dry feet.

For more information on Hiking The Stampede Trail check out http://www.pathfinderalaska.com/stampedetrail

You realize this thread is 2 years old right?

2 years........ That bus needs to be blown up! They rescued some kids out of there a few weeks ago....
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    2 years........ That bus needs to be blown up! They rescued some kids out of there a few weeks ago....
    WHAT??? Man, that "bus" is a National Shrine! It is Hallow Ground to the Hollywood Crowd. Many go there to pay homage to the idiots they adore and idolize. It is a place we can all go to and dwell on matters that will eventually Rid the World of Our Evil Ways.

I agree.....it needs to be blown to smithereens. Where is the powdermonkey when we need him?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The problem isn't the distance to the bus, or the difficulty of the river crossings. The problem are the people who head out there under-prepared and end up in trouble because of it. (That includes McCandless)

The guy's story is interesting, and for that reason the bus is of interest. It seems logical that people would want to see it if they have the ability/means. But those people need to do a serious self inventory first to see if it's appropriate for them to do so.

Heading out into the remote wilderness 4x4ing (like those kids who were rescued just recently) without another vehicle along or any kind of backup plan is just asking for trouble. Though I can say that that kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME elsewhere in the state and it doesn't make the news. If those same kids had taken their rig up towards Knik Glacier and gotten stuck and had to be pulled out do you think anyone would have cared?

People die climbing Denali. Should we ban climbing Denali? Back-country activity has a certain amount of risk that comes along with it. It's not "safe" in that way. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't do it. It means that we should encourage people who have an interest in it to learn the skills necessary to be self reliant and keep themselves out of trouble.

Removing the bus would be about as logical as the idea I mentioned of banning climbing on Denali... or for that matter closing the Flattop trail (people get hurt there every year.) All I've tried to do in creating my site ( www.pathfinderalaska.com/stampedetrail ) is to serve up a reality check for anyone who thinks the hike is a cakewalk through gumdrop forest that they can do with their buddies in an afternoon, AND give helpful information to those who plan to try and do it right.

I've hiked all over the state, and to be honest, the Stampede Trail is not one of my favorite hikes. It's actually pretty boring and swampy for the most part. Because of that bus though, people will continue to hike it, and because they will, It's important to have accurate information available to them.