Thread: Info on inflatable kayak

Default Info on inflatable kayak

I've been thinking of getting an inflatable kayak for some time and happened to find a great buy on one at a garage sale yesterday. I'm not familiar with the maker but it is a very heavy duty boat, obviously good quality. If someone can enlighten me with some details I would appreciate it.
    It was manufactured by Pro Advantage in Salt Lake City, model 20/472 , Pro KII . On the other side of boat it says Legacy by Pro Advantage.
    It has two tubes and and a separate inflatable floor. The seat hooks into sets of d-rings on the sides.
    It should work nicely to float across the Kenai to find less crowded areas to fish for reds.

I have no doubt it is worth the $100 I paid for it. How good of a deal did I get?

DrB

Default I have four different inflatables...

I have four different inflatables, I have them on my ocean boat for toys and cruising coves. I am not firmiliar with yours, but for a hundred dollars you can't go wrong. I have three very expensive top brand name ones and a "suspected" cheap brand name one, but all have a different feature I like and dislike, none are perfect. Some are light weight which is good, some are heavy which is bad, some inflate easily but track poorly, some are a pain to inflate but track great, some have self-bailing decks that I don't like, their all good and bad.

Default DrB

I am not familiar with your brand of IK but consider these points when choosing an inflatable. For what you stated, a boat for crossing the Kenai, you are probably fine. For anything more perilous consider a self bailer, IK'S are not very wide and take on water rather easily. I have used all of the Aire brands and have seen many others like Star, Innova, and Sotar in action,of course Aire is the best(lol) but there are many high quality Ik's are on the market. A good IK will generally cost several hundred dollars to about fifteen hundred buckos,these types of IK'S do not flex like a pool toy type of IK when hitting waves and are extremely versatile boats when used on AK rivers. My last suggestion is to invest in a high float PFD when using an IK. This should be a must on AK rivers in an unstable boat, i have swam multiple times and trust me you will feel way better about it. I also recommend a drysuit, and if you dont believe me, see how long it takes you to wrestle an over turned IK out of a 45 degree temperature swift river with little knowledge of reflipping and remounting the boat.
    One of many useful pieces of information that Andrew Embick left us is, "our best gear is barely good enough" Have fun and enjoy, see you on the river Mark o.

Default Thanks for the info

Mark and Myers,

Thanks for the information. The boat must not be a well-known brand, or the boat is fairly old. It is definitely a larger wide craft with beefy thick construction. I'm looking forward to getting it on the water one of these days. I've had the canoe out recently moose hunting, with my PFD. At this point, the inflatable kayak will be gathering dust in the rafters of my barn while I stay busy with my other interests. There is so much to do . . . what a great place to live.

DrB

Default Inflatables

I no longer have an inflatable Kayak, and am looking too and getting something I can carry for say 2 miles or so.
    I want something lighter than my old 45 lb ones I had, but with enough room to carry a weeks worth of gear, and have some performance to it.
    It needs to actually glide a little after the paddle is dipped, rather than almost come to a dead stop as soon as you stop paddling.
    That is the problem with alot of these Alpacka boats etc. yes they float, but they don't glide...
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Advanced Frame and Bandit

I have both of these and the Advanced frame tracks incredibly well and holds a lot of gear. I don't like how mushy it feels in the bladders, but it has metal in the bow and stern that make it ridged even when low. All the bladders are zipped inside covers and is incredibly layered and protected. Its about 25-30lbs, packs up real small. I also have a Bandit 2 that is extrememly ridged, bailing deck, huge and roomy, and weighs about 20lbs, packs up kinda small, and feels like a balloon its so light! It tracks like crap, but glides great if you don't care where your going. I like the Bandit for comfort and it inflates easy and packs away fast and easy. The Advanced Frame kayak has bladders in the canvas, you have to fight with the valves. If the Advanced was easier to inflate, felt firmmer, and was easier to put away that would be my number one. I'll take the crappy tracking (white water design), light weight, and easy set up of the Bandit as my number one choice.