Thread: Line Visibility and Matsu Trout

Default Line Visibility and Matsu Trout

I have noticed some very big trout in a few lakes somewhere in the Matsu Area. I have caught a few of them in the day light in the 20 inch range, I have had a few in the 30 inch range follow me up to the bank and snub their nose at my bait at the last minute. I grew up in Arkansas on the White River and ran into a similar problem with some very big brown trout. I was finally able to catch some of these big browns by fishing for them at night. I am going to try the same tactic here but I have a few questions. On the white river the trout were very line shy, on clear sunny days I couldnt get away with anything over 4 pound mono, on overcast days I could move up to 6 lb mono. When I made the switch to night fishing I could get away with 8lb mono and if the water was murky 10lb mono. Up here I have just stuck with 6 pound mono and it has worked for me well, but I will be targeting these big fish at night and in some structure and I need all the line strength I can get away with. Are the trout in AK as line shy as the Browns I chased in Arkansas? What line diameters do you think I can get away with. Has anyone had any luck running small diameter braid, because that is ideal for the kind of fishing I will be doing? Im just afraid to drop the money on expensive braided line only to have the fish see it and not grab my lure. Any advice is appreciated.

the 907

I run a leader of foot and half 10# FireLine in Black, works great. I also do 30# PowerPro since I had a little left over. Works awesome. Trout are not leader shy hardly at all. I used to tie leaded line right to my lures and caught fish but I don't anymore since the lure won't make as much action.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.